Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:25:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(11) [
key missing piece in dialogue ][ back door ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<877d81ek89.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <0rydndjRmYSt2NP_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<87pmltcg7x.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <FOidnTmeDpgxa9P_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<87fsmodh7w.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <OrOdnfRPxcJak9L_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<87zgkwbh3m.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <osadnV2OUrMF6tL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87tub4bckx.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <GfWdneVhSvpN183_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87bkxb9tc9.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <h4ydnXCGgtZONs3_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87ee268n4f.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <8qOdna7OrqepBsz_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87ilrh7tr3.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <74KdnQt1sMVb3M__nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87mtgt541v.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <op-dncDOwP0Knc7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<8735ik63ip.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <NOCdnZKexLqX0c7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87ee244h7c.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 00:25 UTC

On 4/10/2022 7:05 PM, Ben wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> Better. I still would not call it "input" (since these are C functions)
>>> but you've got the hang of what am saying. Well done.

>>> The truth is not determined by who does or does not agree with
>>> something. But to find the truth of the matter you must first stop
>>> talking literal nonsense. The arguments to H (what you call the
>>> "input") are two pointers. What does simulating two pointers mean?
>>> What you mean, I hope, is simulating calling the first pointer with the
>>> second as it's argument. That simulation, according to you, will halt
>>> (or "reach it's final state" in your flamboyant, sciencey, language).
>>> It will halt because the direct call P(P) halts. Everything here halts
>>> (according to you). That's why H is wrong.
>>
>> You simply are ignoring the actual execution trace that conclusively
>> proves that the simulated input to H cannot possibly reach its final
>> own state.
>
> The traces that matter are the one of P(P) halting (you made the mistake
> of posting it once), and the one of H(P,P) return false (you posted that
> as well). You a free to retract any of these at any time, but until you
> do, your H is wrong by your own supplied traces.

It is never the case that the simulated input to H(P,P) ever reaches its
own final state.

_P()
[00000956](01) 55 push ebp
[00000957](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00000959](03) 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[0000095c](01) 50 push eax
[0000095d](03) 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[00000960](01) 51 push ecx

// keeps going to [00000956] until aborted
[00000961](05) e8c0feffff call 00000826
// Thus never ever reaches [00000970]

[00000966](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[00000969](02) 85c0 test eax,eax
[0000096b](02) 7402 jz 0000096f
[0000096d](02) ebfe jmp 0000096d
[0000096f](01) 5d pop ebp
[00000970](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0027) [00000970]

Halt deciders are not allowed to give a rat's ass about non-inputs.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [ key

By: olcott on Sun, 3 Apr 2022

978olcott