Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:12:49 -0700 (PDT)
<4ea676fc-5cb0-47f2-99bd-8991538f474dn@googlegroups.com> <h9ydnfH1Ju7UEc7_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<45e289de-6e4c-4a94-8fee-6d73bf596994n@googlegroups.com> <5dadnZhWFrJDEM7_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<9656c396-2b0c-43a7-9e96-aed4512ab419n@googlegroups.com> <JvSdncclOLmcD87_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<6190086f-8a35-4aa7-bafe-86c8055fb8d0n@googlegroups.com> <maednRn7IZ4_Cc7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t305f9$odp$1@dont-email.me> <KcqdnXkO6ddoBM7_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<t309pq$enf$1@dont-email.me> <4b6dnW0wp5riNs7_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t30al9$l36$1@dont-email.me> <a92dnbkTF6PmMs7_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t31q70$88s$1@dont-email.me> <oaGdnaDO85gr7cn_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t31sld$t8a$1@dont-email.me> <26bf6f66-8ff9-44b5-8985-468130aec0c8n@googlegroups.com>
<3tednTj7XpEREsn_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com> <9f39f7b0-6d49-44d2-8d21-38a94a58f3cen@googlegroups.com>
<DMCdne820pf5Icn_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
Subject: Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(11) [
self-evident truth ]
From: dbush.mo...@gmail.com (Dennis Bush)
 by: Dennis Bush - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 00:12 UTC

On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 7:40:28 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:
> On 4/11/2022 6:37 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:

> >> It is self-evident that the actual behavior of the actual simulated
> >> input is the ULTIMATE MEASURE of the correctness of any halt decider.
> >
> > So what is the actual behavior of the actual simulated input <N><5> to Ha3?
> From here on out I will totally every off topic reply.
> I won't even tell you that I am ignoring it.

It is not off topic because it perfectly illustrates that your "self-evident" criteria is nothing of the sort.

By your measure, the actual behavior of the actual simulated input <N><5> to Ha3 is non-halting and is therefore the ULTIMATE MEASURE of the correctness of Ha3, therefore it is correct.

But we've shown that that isn't the case because Ha7 accepts <N><5>. Therefore this:

> >> It is self-evident that the actual behavior of the actual simulated
> >> input is the ULTIMATE MEASURE of the correctness of any halt decider.

Has been demonstrated to be FALSE.

Which also means that this:

embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* H.qn

Which can also be written (since embedded_H is the same as H, and since H aborts we can call it Ha) like this

Ha ⟨Ĥa⟩ ⟨Ĥa⟩ ⊢* Ha.qn

Is also incorrect because Hb, which has the same halt status criteria as Ha but defers aborting for k steps, does this:

Hb ⟨Ĥa⟩ ⟨Ĥa⟩ ⊢* Hb.qy

And as you said before:

---
A simulating halt decider must continue to simulate its input until it
has proof that this simulation would never end.
---

And just as Ha7 proves that Ha3 does not do this for the input <N><5>, Hb proves that Ha did not do this for the input ⟨Ĥa⟩ ⟨Ĥa⟩. Therefore Ha is *not* correct to abort ⟨Ĥa⟩ ⟨Ĥa⟩. and Linz is validated.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [ key

By: olcott on Sun, 3 Apr 2022

978olcott