Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:02:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(11) [
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:02 UTC

On 4/15/2022 6:39 AM, Ben wrote:

>>> The correct value of H(P,P) is determined by the halting status of what
>>> you call a non input:
>>
>> LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE
>
> If this is one of the things you might say to that fictional room of
> academics you imagine talking to, put me down for a front row seat!
>
>> You know damn well that a halt decider must compute the mapping
>> FROM ITS INPUTS
>
> From its arguments.
>
>> Any damn thing that computes the mapping from a non-input
>> IS WRONG BY DEFINITION
>
> I tried to help you with this, but you

Just won't believe damn lies

> got stuck at the very start.
>
> Anyway, you don't get to say what the correct answer is.

Computer science says that any input to a halt decider that would never
reach its own final state is non-halting.

> You started
> this massive waste of time by deciding, decades ago, to take up an
> /existing/ problem. What your H has to return, for any given arguments,
> is not up for debate. You can say you can't meet the specification
> because it's in some way crazy -- that /is/ up to you (though you won't
> find many takers) -- but you still can't meet the specification:
>
> // H returns true if, and only if, the function call x(y) always
> // returns (or halts if you prefer) no matter where it is called from.
> // H returns false in all other cases.
>
> typedef int (*ptr)();
> int H(ptr x, ptr y);
>
> Stamp your feet and shout that x(y) is a "non-input" all you like, but
> this is the function you can't write[1].
>
> Actually you can't write a function like that which decides /any/
> non-trivial property of the function x. Can you write a function that
> decides if there is some y for which x(y) == 42? No you can't. Can you
> write a function that decides if x(0) == 0? No you can't.
>
> And the list includes many practical and interesting problems such as
> deciding if a context-free grammar is ambiguous or not.
>
>> IS WRONG BY DEFINITION
>> IS WRONG BY DEFINITION
>>
>> Why lie ?
>
> How often have you got burned by this?

I am not burned now.
When I state a logical truism and anyone disagrees then they are incorrect.

> I have never lied to you but
> many times when you have accused me of lying, or playing head games, or,
> on one occasion, of being mad, it's turned out that you just didn't know
> what you were talking about. The last time was fixed only after I told
> you, repeatedly, to read page 8 of Mendelson. On that occasion, you
> didn't know what a sequence was just a function.
>
> [1] Without tricks like H(x,y) returning different results when called
> in different places in a program.

The simulated input to H(P,P) cannot possibly reach its own final state
it keeps repeating [00000956] to [00000961] until aborted.

_P()
[00000956](01) 55 push ebp
[00000957](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00000959](03) 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[0000095c](01) 50 push eax // push P
[0000095d](03) 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[00000960](01) 51 push ecx // push P
[00000961](05) e8c0feffff call 00000826 // call H(P,P)
The above keeps repeating until aborted

[00000966](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[00000969](02) 85c0 test eax,eax
[0000096b](02) 7402 jz 0000096f
[0000096d](02) ebfe jmp 0000096d
[0000096f](01) 5d pop ebp
[00000970](01) c3 ret // final state.
Size in bytes:(0027) [00000970]

Because the above simulated input is non-halting H can report this and
be correct. There is no dishonest double-talk that can even seem otherwise.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [ key

By: olcott on Sun, 3 Apr 2022

978olcott