From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:27:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:27 UTC

sms wrote:

> One negative about Costco's tire center. lately, is that they are
> understaffed.

I agree with Steve in that I used to have Costco, Midas, Goodyear, etc.,
mount and balance my tires, even in the days I bought them from Tire Rack,
and they all take more time than you might think they should, from the time
you leave the house until the time you get back (which is what matters).

The Costco tire dept historically has had a long line, even at its opening
time, which was, as I recall, earlier than the store (back in the day).

> A couple of months ago, one tire on my wife's car blew out
> and I took the wheel and tire there for replacement since it wasn't
> repairable.

While this next statement delves into the concept of "proper", there are
common industry rules for what tires are repairable & what tires are not.
<https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair>

However...

If you repair your own tires, you can choose _how_ and _what_ to use, where
a professional will _not_ repair a tire "some" of those ways that you can.

An example is if there is any black dust inside the casing, even if there
is no other indicator, they won't repair the tire (for good reasons).

But you can.

There are _many_ other example, such as the number of existing patches, the
location of the puncture, the size and shape of the wound, the type of
existing patches, the tread depth, etc.

As a VERY COMMON EXAMPLE, a _lot_ of people use an _external_ repair for
punctures, especially when on the road - where the rules are that tire
cannot ever be repaird by a professional following the standard rules.

Yet you can repair it yourself (note that under the old rules it was
perfectly acceptable I'm told, but under the new industry rules it is not).

> It took about six hours to get the tire replaced.

While that's unusual, it couldn't take less than a "couple" of hours to get
your tires replaced anywhere, if you count the time from when you leave the
house to the time you return - which is the time that matters when you are
comparing it to doing it yourself - which would be from the time you start
to get dressed to the time you step out of the shower in terms of mounting
and balancing your own tires (there's also that free dynamic balance test).

> There was no hassle about the road hazard coverage, though it's pro-rated
> based on tread life.

The tread, actually the evenness of the wear, is the problem in mountains.
<https://i.postimg.cc/wTf1xnzJ/mount36.jpg> Cause for uneven tread wear

As I mentioned, Costco is a fine outfit. Reputable. Honest. Reliable.

But Steve doesn't live in the mountains. Essentially that guarrantee is
worthless if you live in the mountains. We've covered this many times on
the auto newsgroup (with scores of photos) so just trust me on this fact.
Santa Cruz Mts BMW <https://i.postimg.cc/g004XCLW/mount37.jpg>
Santa Cruz Mts LEXUS <https://i.postimg.cc/G3HWPtQg/mount39.jpg>
Santa Cruz Mts TOYOTA <https://i.postimg.cc/pT71cQZG/mount41.jpg>

> Another issue with Costco is that they only carry tires from
> two manufacturers: Michelin/BF Goodrich and Bridgestone, but for most
> people that's sufficient.

Ah. I mispoke. I'm surprised Steve didn't call me out on that
misrepresentation of fact. I knew Costco only carried two brands, but
offhand, I had one of them wrong. Steve is correct on the brands (AFAIR).

Bear in mind every year, at least once a year (ofen in August?) Costco has
a $100 off sale - which isn't any big deal as you can get better tires for
less - but if you're gonna go to Costco - then the sale could be good news.

> If you mount and balance tires yourself there's no warranty at all.

Actually that's wrong. The original tire warranty still remains in force.
The onus of documentation is up to you - that's all.

Bear in mind even Costco technically requires alignment documentation.

> If
> you buy tires online from a place like Tire Rack there is no treadlife
> warranty or road hazard coverage, only a warranty against manufacturer's
> defects.

Bullshit.

Remember my analogy that a thin person doesn't know how to lose 100 pounds
even as they _think_ they do... simply because they've never done it?

Well, Steve has never done what I've done which is buy tires from reliable
folks like Simple Tire, and wear them out "prematurely" (see the mountain
road argument as to why).

The reputable tire supply houses tires are covered by the original
manufacturer's warranty. It's no different than Costco's tire warranty I
would think (although we could compare the details at a later date).

> BTW, Costco has free nitrogen fill available outside their tire centers.

I wonder if Steve knows the answer to this question which I know the answer
to.

How do you _think_ Costco "gets" that nitrogen?
... Think about that...
... Think again...
... And again...

Where does Steve _think_ that "nigrogen" comes from that Costco uses?
HINT: It's not what you'd think.

> Most tire places charge extra for nitrogen fill.

Costco is great, but Nitrogen fill is a marketing gimmick much like Face ID
is a marketing gimmick.

It serves one main purpose which is to _differentiate_ their "air" from
someone elses' air. Nothing more than that.

Green caps are brilliant marketing ploys... but any _adult_ would realize
that the nitrogen in tires is a gimmick if they simply knew what it is.

Those green caps are no different than similar Apple marketing gimmicks.

> Nitrogen fill has a
> couple of advantages, the main one being that since the nitrogen
> molecules are larger the gas leaks out more slowly than tires filled
> with plain air. Since many drivers never check their tire pressure, this
> is a big plus!

It's a gimmick. It's not pure nitrogen in the first place, but even that
doesn't matter because the difference is essentially meaningless.

The whole point of the gimmick is to be able to differentiate just like
Apple's whole "environmental" stance is simply to "sound" different.

Hey... guess what... I'm more environmentally sound than almost all of you
most likely because I can eke out tires longer than you can under the same
conditions since I can repair more tires than you can for longer than you
can (given your shops won't repair what I can and do repair all the time).

One more thing that you GAIN by DIY maintenance & repair is that you can do
MORE of it ...again, that means that _uneven_ wear can be overcome simply
by _flipping_ the tires on the wheels (not all tires have non-directional
treads - but most do).

Here's a direct cut and paste from a previous post from years ago on that.

For example, in these steep curvy Santa Cruz Mountains roadways, we all
burn though front tires on their _outside_ edges
<https://i.postimg.cc/g004XCLW/mount37.jpg>
due to what Xeno & Clare have explained is likely camber scrub:
<https://i.postimg.cc/G3HWPtQg/mount39.jpg>
where the effect is noticeable on front tires in a few thousand miles
<https://i.postimg.cc/8zVxVHVx/mount40.jpg>
and, where close observation shows the effect in only hundreds of miles
<https://i.postimg.cc/pT71cQZG/mount41.jpg>
such that one side of the tire is worn while the other half is fine
<https://i.postimg.cc/G2rYpQnp/mount23.jpg>
and where frequent tire rotation only resolves half the problem
<https://i.postimg.cc/63Kc80x9/mount29.jpg>
Since the tire is still rotating in the same direction on the wheel.

While there are amelioration techniques that Xeno & Clare have outlined
such as lessening positive front caster, the wear is due to the un-natural
positive camber that the inside wheel takes on sharp turns:
<https://i.postimg.cc/YqHVb5gY/mount33.jpg>
such that the inside front wheel outside corner takes the brunt of it
<https://i.postimg.cc/hGvsXBjK/mount34.jpg>
meaning there's only so much you can play with in terms of home alignment
<https://i.postimg.cc/vZs6Vm3B/mount35.jpg>
given it's always going to wear the outside edge of the front tires
<https://i.postimg.cc/wTf1xnzJ/mount36.jpg>

The simplest solution, which most people never do, would be to FLIP the
wheels on the rim at the normal 5,000 mile rotation point.
<https://i.postimg.cc/26DfF8vq/mount02.jpg>

If you don't know how to flip a tire on the rim in a few minutes, you
likely won't do it, since it would cost $20 per rotation which is $100 just
to flip the tires (even Costco charges for flipping tires on the rim, even
if you bought the tires from them and had them initially mount them).

Since it would cost more than the tires to flip them every 5000 miles on
the rim, doing the work at home is not only fun and convenient, but, doing
the work at home means you will be saving tires from the landfill which is
the environmental friendly thing to do.

In summary, not only is it fun and convenient to DIY at home, but it
enables you to minimize the impact on the environment because you can do
things that few people would do if they couldn't do them easily at home.
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex

By: sms on Sat, 23 Apr 2022

367sms