The program isn't debugged until the last user is dead.

computers / comp.theory / Re: On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)

Re: On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)

<yVDcK.5444$r5xa.3092@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31591&group=comp.theory#31591

Subject: Re: On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 19:23:14 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 4 May 2022 23:23 UTC

On 5/4/22 12:40 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2022 21:54:42 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 5/3/22 3:06 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> Wrong; the wording in the third paragraph suggests the prior
>>> paragraphs refer to the halting problem itself, i.e. its definition.
>>>
>>> Stop playing word games. The halting problem as defined in
>>> [Wikipedia, 2022] is erroneous as it contains a category error in
>>> the form of an erroneous infinite recursion. The fact that
>>> currently extant halting problem proofs are predicated on this
>>> erroneous infinite recursion tells us that the second paragraph
>>> *is* part of the halting problem definition and thus are invalid.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> So the second sentence of the first paragraph is part of the
>> definition, so BY DEFINITON, no answer exists to the Halting Problem?
>>
>> You can't say that paragraph 2 is part of the definiton and exclude
>> the end of paragraph 1.
>>
>> The only reasonable parsing is:
>>
>> Sentence 1: the Defintion of the Problem
>> Sentence 2: The Theorem about the Problem
>> Paragraph 2: A sketch of the proof of the Theorem
>> Paragraph 3: History of how it got its common name.
>>
>> You confuse the "Halting Problem" with the Theorem about the Halting
>> Problem that states that no machine can exist to compute the answer
>> to the problem (and its proof).
>
> Sentence 2 merely states that Turing provided a proof: a proof is not a
> theory, a proof proves a theory.
>
> I see you wish to continue to play word games; I can play word games
> too, and win.
>
> If I accept your assertion as true (which is reasonable) then the facts
> on the ground haven't actually changed: I merely have to make minor
> modifications to my original assertion. See my "reprise #2" post which I
> will post shortly.
>
> /Flibble

It seems that you are making the eror of confusing the Halting Problem,
with the Halting Problem Theorem, with the proof of the Theorem.

THe Halting problem, is simply the challange to try to create a
"Program" (i.e a Turing Macnine) that can answer the question (by giving
it an appropriate repesentation) if a given Computation (or Program
given an specific input) will Halt in finite time or run forever. That
is ALL there is to the problem, besides the details of the ground rules
of what the programs can be (which is where making everything Turing
Machines makes things simpler, as the ground rules become simpler to
state). This is what the First Sentence Describes.

The Halting Problem Theorem, is that there does not exist a program that
fully meets the requirements of the problem for all possible inputs.
This is what the second Sentence talks about. This is in the article
about the Halting Problem, because it is ABOUT the Halting Problem, even
if it isn't the problem itself.

Then the second paragraph is a summary of the proof of the Halting
Problme Theorem. Again, it isn't the Halting Problem itself, (Just as a
discussion of the History of the Halting Problem isn't part of the
defintion of the problem).

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)

By: Mr Flibble on Mon, 2 May 2022

214Mr Flibble