From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: H(P,P) == false is correct
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 20:19:28 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 5 May 2022 01:19 UTC

On 5/4/2022 7:59 PM, Ben wrote:
> olcott <polcott2@gmail.com> writes:

>>> So now, after thinking otherwise for years, you claim that there is no
>>> way to even specify the computation P(P) for you pseudo-C halt decider
>>> H. At least that is a clear admission that the halting of function
>>> calls like P(P) can not be decided because, apparently, passing P and P
>>> to H does not specify that computation, and you can't say what two
>>> arguments /would/ specify it.
>>>
>>> A clear and unambiguous statement that no D such that D(X,Y) == true if
>>> and only if X(Y) halts and false otherwise is possible would be the
>>> honest way to move things on. If you were clear about this, maybe
>>> someone will talk to you about [whatever] it is that your H is
>>> deciding.
>
> So you won't admit that no algorithm can do what D is specified to do?
> You are just going to pretend that no one cares about actual halting.
>
> I hope you see that by ignoring this point you are confirming that you
> know D can't exist. If you thought such a D was possible, you'd be
> shouting that from the roof tops since it's what everyone else says is
> impossible.
>
>> I adapted my system so that I could empirically test this:
>> H1(P,P)==true is empirically proven to be correct
>> H(P,P)==false is empirically proven to be correct
>
> But neither can tell us squat about the halting of P(P) -- the thing
> that H was originally supposed to decide.

Are you simply wired to ignore my words so that you can disagree with
everything that I say?

H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).

> [...]
>> input. This can be verified by carefully studying their execution
>> trace.
>
> But neither can tell us what we want.

H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).
H1(P,P)==true reports on the behavior of P(P).

> Your H does not meet D's
> specification, but you are not brave enough to admit that you now know
> that D can't exist because denying that is what got you started down
> this rabbit hole 18 years ago.

>>> But no one cares about that as it's not what we want a decider for.

>>> And it seems that you agree that no D such that D(X,Y) == true if and
>>> only if X(Y) halts and false otherwise is possible. That's the D that
>>> the world cares about.

>>> It decides some property of the pair of pointers P and P, but not the
>>> one people care about: the halting or otherwise of the function call
>>> P(P).

>>> Why /did/ you waste so much time trying to convince us that H(P,P) ==
>>> false was correct even though P(P) halted if you never intended H(P,P)
>>> to report on the halting of P(P)?

>>> <snip the usual waffle>

>>> It's good that it's fun, but it seems to be taking a long time. I'd
>>> expect students to be able to write E and specify P "live" in a tutorial
>>> -- i.e. it would take a couple of minutes and we could the discuss more
>>> interesting examples.
>>
>> I have had some serious health issues that could have killed me last
>> week.
>
> You have been able to write dozens of posts, so why not the few words
> needed to specify P, or the few states needed for E? And even now
> you've taken on a task that seems too much for you rather than get down
> to writing and specifying a TM. It looks like avoidance.
>
>>> The specification of TM's is your stumbling block, so you could be doing
>>> that in parallel.
>>
>> I like to go through all of the best steps in order. Having a machine
>> to execute TM's is the first step.
>
> The firsts step is to be able to specify a TM. You can't have anything
> to execute of you can't specify it. It's just avoidance.

I am a concrete thinker, abstractions are always far too vague.

>> (a) Deciding to get around to start this project took weeks when
>> dealing with my other issues.
>
> You decided to start weeks ago. Then you gave up.
I am dead set on finishing it now.

>> (b) No setting up the tedious syntax of reading a file of text lines
>> took much longer than usual, I usually cut-and-paste.
>
> What? I thought you knew C++ and could write code.

On this tedious syntax details I always cut-and-paste from working code.
I hate tedious syntax details. Engineering algorithms is what I enjoy.

>> (c) I studied enough of the
>> http://www.lns.mit.edu/~dsw/turing/turing.html
>> To realize it was a superb architecture yet an overly complex
>> implementation.
>
> I hate it, but you chose it /five years ago/. Five years ago I
> suggested a simple exercise and you bailed them. I'd forgotten that. I
> should learn, shouldn't I?

I don't hate it, it does have a superb architecture that I will quickly
implement. I don't want to have to always enter the tape initialization
manually and want this in the machine description file.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)

By: Mr Flibble on Mon, 2 May 2022

214Mr Flibble