Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 21:12:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: H(P,P) == false is correct [ verified facts ]
From: dbush.mo...@gmail.com (Dennis Bush)
 by: Dennis Bush - Thu, 5 May 2022 04:12 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 11:54:14 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:
> On 5/4/2022 10:43 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:

> >> The above paragraph means that it makes no mistakes in computing the
> >> halting function. This is a verifiable fact, not any mere opinion. The
> >> reason that I did the HP in C/x86 was so that every detail can be shown
> >> thus gaps in reasoning revealed.

Just because a simulating halt decider aborts doesn't necessarily mean it was correct to do so. On the other hand, a simulating halt decider that simulates to a final state is always correct and proves that any mapping of the same input to non-halting is necessarily incorrect.

> > Any decider that maps the halting function performs the *same* mapping of inputs to outputs.
> That is now proven to be factually incorrect.

FALSE. The mapping of the halting function is DEFINED (i.e. is immutable and fixed) as:

M w maps to true if and only if M(w) halts, and
M w maps to false if and only if M(w) does not halt

So any halt decider that does not compute this *exact* mapping is not computing the halting function.

> If the above paragraph is proven to be a fact then this proves that both
> H and H1 compute the halting function correctly. The above paragraph can
> be proven to be a fact.
> > Since H and H1 perform different mappings they can't possibly both map the halting function.
> >
> > So which one doesn't?
> --
> Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)

By: Mr Flibble on Mon, 2 May 2022

214Mr Flibble