From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
Subject: Re: H(P,P) == false is correct [ verified facts ]
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 13:39:12 -0500
<t4p08u$5ar$1@dont-email.me> <87wnf3ga8h.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<t4pesp$d9n$1@dont-email.me> <87fslrfs3t.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<t4sn5q$9nr$1@dont-email.me> <874k25qt5y.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<t4uk3c$knu$1@dont-email.me> <87v8ukpzfi.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<t4v8n3$5s1$1@dont-email.me> <87h764pvb7.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<t4vea8$u19$1@dont-email.me>
<a588de5e-d0ee-4f93-939c-f73931e840ecn@googlegroups.com>
<t4vf5c$5ts$1@dont-email.me>
<1c6a8dce-f763-458e-98d6-295e38121221n@googlegroups.com>
<t4vgsc$jkr$1@dont-email.me>
<2577a7ba-aff1-4d04-85a6-0d269d81fe93n@googlegroups.com>
<t4vhp3$p9v$1@dont-email.me> <dWOcK.2076$lWNd.389@fx99.iad>
<0e79a2be-8735-4cfe-8ba3-7b3c5cc7e196n@googlegroups.com>
<t510rf$gsi$1@dont-email.me>
<37b535a3-a5f2-4c57-b235-abbaadbe722fn@googlegroups.com>
 by: olcott - Thu, 5 May 2022 18:39 UTC

On 5/5/2022 12:28 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:17:38 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:

>>> In parapsychology, there's something called "the experimenter effect". The same
>>> experiment will show a parapsychological effect or not, depending on who is
>>> performing the experiment. This has been described as parapsychology's one finding.
>>> If true in an interesting way, it also strikes at the heart of the scientific method.
>>>
>>> But intuitively, it's not implausible that an experiment would "work" for an experimenter
>>> with gypsy blood, for example. You can't simply reject the experimenter effect on the
>>> basis that, if it means more than that certain experimenters are more gullible than
>>> others, it leaves the rest of science in tatters.
>>>
>>> PO says that a machine has one behaviour when run, and another behaviour when
>>> "correctly simulated". That claim, if true, similarly leaves the whole of computer science
>>> in tatters. Which means that it's his responsibility to provide a much better explanation
>>> of what he means than he has done currently.
>>>
>>> But he's been clear about this. He's asserting what anyone who knows just a tiny amount
>>> about computers must consdier to be nonsense. At first glance. But the idea that
>>> i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = -1 whilst ijk also = -1 also seems like nonsense at first glance. The
>>> difference is that more details were forthcoming.
>> Anyone knowing the x86 language can verify that H(P,P) and H1(P,P)
>> compute the mapping from their input parameters to their own final state
>> correctly. Arguing with verified facts is a fools folly.
>
> So in other words, a decider is always correct about what it's own input does.

Yes this is an easily verified fact on the basis of the execution trace
derived from the correct simulation of its input parameters.

> If you believe that to be true, then you also believe that anyone knowing the x86 language can verify that Ha3(N,5) correctly computes the mapping from its input to a non-halting state.

H2(Ha3,N,5) would get the correct halt status for Ha3.

From what I recall Ha3(N,5) is merely a computation that was defined to
make sure it gets the wrong answer. If you disagree then remind me again
what it means.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)

By: Mr Flibble on Mon, 2 May 2022

214Mr Flibble