Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 09:02:41 -0700 (PDT)
<20220505223908.00001a9e@reddwarf.jmc> <t51gn6$fjt$2@dont-email.me>
<20220505225335.00007d75@reddwarf.jmc> <t51ig5$t3s$4@dont-email.me>
<87czgrmok4.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220506025943.00006c94@reddwarf.jmc>
<87y1zf9xx5.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220506145647.00005eb2@reddwarf.jmc>
<t53k3u$ens$2@dont-email.me> <87y1zeyzfd.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <t54elt$kqv$1@dont-email.me>
<87wneyxi91.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <t54ic0$afj$1@dont-email.me> <87k0axvu34.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<kfGdnfI8BaL3YOv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <311a4a60-3af0-44bc-8918-5bf89c2ec9e9n@googlegroups.com>
<C4udnVUZlvEIker_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <109491d3-9fba-4770-892d-8e7d032841c6n@googlegroups.com>
<lsWdnfMrnI6Xher_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <8599ac1b-30c1-49b8-ad8a-0811b3d581b3n@googlegroups.com>
<e-CdnRRLy4B5ter_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <d5dd6404-05b7-4fa4-add5-87cc7d22e54cn@googlegroups.com>
<Rv-dndhesPYhruT_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
Subject: Re: On Strachey [ How nuts is that? ]
From: dbush.mo...@gmail.com (Dennis Bush)
 by: Dennis Bush - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:02 UTC

On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 11:31:16 AM UTC-4, olcott wrote:
> On 5/7/2022 9:36 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:

> >> I am only referring to this literal string:
> >> 558bec8b4508508b4d0851e840feffff83c40885c07402ebfe5dc3
> >>
> >> as an input to H(P,P) and H1(P,P). It is 100% perfectly concrete
> >> thus
> >> utterly impervious to even extremely well-crafted attempts at deception
> >> through the strawman error. Any attempt to get around this will be
> >> construed as (and labeled) a bald-faced lie by a bald-faced liar.
> >
> > That string is 100% NOT concrete because it doesn't specify the function that it is calling.
> I did not freaking say that this finite string specifies every freaking
> detail of the whole freaking system nitwit. This finite string as x86
> code specifies every one of its own bytes.

Not the whole system, just the computation to be decided on, and that computation includes the FIXED code of H that aborts its simulation, i.e. Ha.

>> It therefore doesn't specify a complete computation,
> It knows you screwy and deceptive naming conventions on their ass.

You're projecting. The naming convention prevents YOU from being deceptive and claiming that P is the same computation no matter what the implementation of the called H is.

The P to be decided on has a fixed algorithm. This means the H it calls / has a copy of also has a fixed algorithm. So we refer to that fixed H as Ha and the fixed P that calls it is referred to as Pa.

Ha(Pa,Pa) does not perform a correct simulation because it doesn't simulate for long enough. Hb(Pa,Pa) does simulate that same input to a final state..

> These hexadecimal bytes are the stipulated as the input to H and H1.
> 558bec8b4508508b4d0851e840feffff83c40885c07402ebfe5dc3

FALSE. The input to a halt decider is the representation of a COMPLETE program/computation, and that is incomplete.

Just because a bunch of completely unrelated H's cannot simulate the completely unrelated P's built on them to a final state doesn't mean that all of them are correct.

> > so NO that is not the only thing you're referring to. The H that it calls is a part of it and is therefore immutable. So YES, H is Ha and P is Pa because the fixed algorithm of H aborts and P calls this fixed H.
> >
> These are verified facts:
> H(P,P)==false is provably correct.
> Ha(P,P)==true is provably correct.

As proved previously, Hb(Pa,Pa) == true proves that Ha(Pa,Pa) == false is wrong. If you disagree then that means you agree that Ha3(N,5) == false is correct because Ha7(N,5) == true doesn't disprove it.

> > You seem to be using this to say:
> >
> > For each i: because each Hi(Pi,Pi) == false, and because Hn(Pn,Pn) does not halt, then each Hi(Pi,Pi) == false is correct.
> >
> > Each Pi is distinct from each other, and each Hi is distinct from each other. That each Hi is unable to simulate the Pi built from it to a final state proves nothing regarding whether each of them is correct to return false. "Hello world" and Minesweeper are not the same program, so one can't be used to make conclusions about the other.

> >> It is a verified fact that at least Linz claims that H must report on Ĥ
> >> applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩.
> >
> > As it is required to.
> >

> >> It is also a verified fact that this same requirement directly
> >> contradicts the definition of decider that must map its actual inputs to
> >> an accept/reject state based on the actual behavior of these actual inputs.
> >
> > It does not, because the actual behavior of the actual inputs is defined to be the machine that those inputs represent.
> I have a guy that I want you to arrest, his name is in my head.
> I am going to write down the name of some other guy, but I want
> you to arrest the guy who is named in my head. I won't tell you
> his name.

Another bad analogy with no explanation.

> All halt deciders only compute the mapping from their inputs to their
> own accept/reject state on the basis of the actual behavior actually
> specified by the correct simulation of this input

Which is performed by an actual UTM, or alternately by a simulator that can simulate the input to a final state.

> by the halt decider.

Assuming the halt decider does a correct simulation

> >> When the author or a textbook disagrees with computer science
> >> definitions it is not computer science that is on the losing side of this.
> >
> > It doesn't. You just don't understand the definitions.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o On Strachey

By: Mr Flibble on Thu, 5 May 2022

83Mr Flibble