Staff meeting in the conference room in %d minutes.

computers / comp.theory / Re: H(P,P)==false is proven to be correct

Re: H(P,P)==false is proven to be correct

<viieK.57308$t72a.22493@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32086&group=comp.theory#32086

Subject: Re: H(P,P)==false is proven to be correct
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<de31660f-8385-4409-8949-0402e11d2dc2n@googlegroups.com>
<Z--dnd6-gL4VEuT_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<2f00fe42-4cc8-4e91-b54c-e20514a15fban@googlegroups.com>
<QtGdnb2P2shiAeT_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 20:26:04 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 10 May 2022 00:26 UTC

On 5/9/22 7:00 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/9/2022 5:49 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:

>>> Now we are getting into nuances of meaning that are not commonly known.
>>>
>>> It must do so in the basis of a property specified by its input finite
>>> string.
>>
>> And for a halt decider H(P,P), the specified property *by definition*
>> is the behavior of P(P)
>>

>>> For example a decider that decides whether or not its input has a string
>>> length > 20 will simply base its decision on the actual length of the
>>> actual input string.
>>>
>>> Another decider may determine if the string contains: "the". Deciders
>>> always decide on the basis of what the finite string actually specifies,
>>> not what someone imagines that these strings "should" specify.
>>>
>>> For the halt deciders this property is the actual behavior actually
>>> specified by these finite strings.
>>
>> Which by *the definition of the problem*, for a halt decider H(P,P),
>> that property is the behavior of P(P)
>>
>>> We already know that the correct
>>> simulation of an input is the ultimate measure of the behavior of this
>>> input.
>>
>> And the correct simulation of the input to H(P,P) is by definition
>> UTM(P,P) because it is equivalent to the behavior of the direct
>> execution of P(P)
>

> void P(u32 x)
> {
>   if (x86_emulate(x, x))
>     HERE: goto HERE;
>   return;
> }
>
> int main()
> {
>   Output("Input_Halts = ", H((u32)P, (u32)P));
> }
>
> Yet the UTM must be embedded at the same place where H would be
> embedded. The above P would never stop running.

Nope, the UTM is a totally seperate computation.

Where do you see put a UTM in the place of copies of the decider while
simulating the input? (or words to that effect)

You just run a UTM on the input as an independent computation to verify
that the answer was correct.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o On the halting problem (final)

By: Mr Flibble on Sun, 8 May 2022