Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 17:23:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.lang.semantics
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:23 UTC

On 5/13/2022 5:14 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Which means... ?
>>>
>>> Prolog, as I remember, ASSUMES that anything not provable is FALSE
>>> (not 'untrue').
>>>

>> Unprovable means untrue and does not mean false in Prolog.

>>> So there exists an integer number N is neither Even or Odd? (it is
>>> untrue for both tests)
>>>
>>> I don't think you actually understand what that means.

>>> You still don't understand, do you.
>>>
>>> You still confuse Truth with Knowledge.
>> There are only two possible ways that any analytical expression of
>> language can possibly be true:
>> (1) It is stipulated to be true.
>> (2) It is derived by applying only truth preserving operations to (1)
>> or the consequences of (2).
>>
>> Try and provide an example of a possible truth that does not require
>> one of those two.
>>

> The result of applying the operation of replacing N by N/2 if  N is even
> or by 3N+1 if N is odd will eventually get you to the number 1 for all
> Natural numbers N > 0.
>
> This statement MUST be either True or False, by its nature, there is no
> other possible state.
>
> This statement seems to be true, but it has unable to be proven to be true.
>
> Yes, we can not validly USE the idea that this statement is true to
> prove something else, because we know that it is still possible that it
> won't be true. But we CAN use that it will either be true or false to
> show something.
>
> That is an analytical expression that isn't proven to be an analytical
> truth, but it may still be true,

Probably an unconscious strawman error, that does not contradict my
original claim because it is a strawman error.

True(x) iff Stipulated_True(x) or Proven_True(x)
I am referring to <is> true and you are referring to <might be> true,
they are not the same.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning

By: olcott on Fri, 13 May 2022

113olcott