Prediction is very difficult, especially of the future. -- Niels Bohr

computers / comp.theory / Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<hJfhK.61519$qMI1.1844@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32594&group=comp.theory#32594

Subject: Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [
Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
<-Y-dndeIzo9cIuL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <2tPfK.223$hAre.146@fx08.iad>
<gcGdncKir6kKVuL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<e_QfK.3463$Q0Ef.101@fx38.iad>
<vJqdnYm7AZhleOL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<X7UfK.5029$tTK.4830@fx97.iad>
<Y72dndEZBuuehB3_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<IZUfK.44156$qMI1.30042@fx96.iad>
<4vidnRzHA9cxvh3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<SmWfK.5375$x1Wf.3585@fx10.iad>
<kbudndAp1Nn8pB3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<BgXfK.1974$NMxb.1827@fx02.iad>
<qYednSst4_Dh4R3_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<_h5gK.6869$j0D5.2592@fx09.iad>
<WsudnRqCqbhp_hn_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<HL4hK.9995$dLI5.9942@fx48.iad>
<_MSdnQBkFdOulxj_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:57:00 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 18 May 2022 23:57 UTC

On 5/18/22 11:01 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/18/2022 6:28 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Unless and Until a (possibly unknown) connection exists between an
>>> expression of language back-chained by sound deductive inference
>>> steps to known truth, the expression is not true.

>>> None-the-less the sequence of inference steps must exist, analytical
>>> truth is parasitic.
>>>

>> Absolutely NOT. There does NOT need to be proof that something is true.
>>
>> IF you want to claim that, by YOUR definition, you need to actually
>> PROVE it.
>>

> “Analytic” sentences, such as “Pediatricians are doctors,” have
> historically been characterized as ones that are true by virtue of the
> meanings of their words alone and/or can be known to be so solely by
> knowing those meanings.
> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/analytic-synthetic/
>
> Every analytic expression of language (including math and logic) must be
> connected to it meaning showing that it is true OR IT IS NOT TRUE.
>
> Expressions of language that are not connected to their meaning are
> meaningless thus neither true nor false.

So, how do you use the meaning of the words in "The Square of the
Hypotonuse of a right triangle is equal to the sume of the squares of
the other two sides" to show it is true?

I think you will have problems.

>> And, you can't do that by assuming it, you need to actually PROVE it
>> from the accepted axioms.
>>
>> Since you can't, that just shows your statement isn't TRUE.
>>
>> It is a fact, that it HAS been proved that if you include such a rule
>> in your axioms, that you can get an inconsistent system once you allow
>> certain logical operations to be used, that are needed to support
>> mathemeatics.
>>
>> So, your arguement fails.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning

By: olcott on Fri, 13 May 2022

113olcott