No extensible language will be universal. -- T. Cheatham

computers / comp.theory / Re: Category error [ --KEY_INSIGHT-- ]

Re: Category error [ --KEY_INSIGHT-- ]

<c3ghK.15280$x1Wf.7775@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32599&group=comp.theory#32599

Subject: Re: Category error [ --KEY_INSIGHT-- ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
<tdKdnQC2Q9inQuL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <tPUfK.189$SWc6.187@fx44.iad>
<G7KdnTUzU-qUgR3_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<TcVfK.6636$j0D5.3767@fx09.iad>
<8IOdnQUS39_Rux3_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com> <t5p979$q10$1@dont-email.me>
<va-dnZMHj_bJth3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<nwWfK.24088$JSxf.7488@fx11.iad> <t5pdh0$k9t$1@dont-email.me>
<o9KdncqVOZBkpx3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t5pe74$o0t$1@dont-email.me>
<zaKdnVaEj43X8B3_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<9u5gK.6020$i7Ab.3784@fx05.iad>
<EbKdnVBfIrpJ-Rn_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<1k5hK.8430$Yfl6.562@fx41.iad>
<65WdnVtH4_ccjBj_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0ufhK.33760$6dof.24551@fx13.iad>
<XYOdneAS57aFFBj_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 20:20:24 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 19 May 2022 00:20 UTC

On 5/18/22 8:02 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/18/2022 6:40 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> There is no freaking "might want" there is only <is> and <not is>.
>>> If you "might want the definitions of a term to be different than it
>>> is then you are simply screwy.
>>
>> A century ago, Math was thought to be Analytical, and all Analytical
>> statements eventually provable or refutable. It was then discovered
>> that this can not be true.
>>

> Math a stipulated to be in the body of analytical statements the same
> way that a dog is stipulated to be an animal.

Then you have to accept that some Analytical Statements are True but not
Provable,

>> You need to decide, either you remove Mathematics from Analytical or
>> you remove Provable from Analytically True.
>>

> Not at all. This is where logic diverges form correct reasoning.
> Cannot possibly be proved = untrue.

I think all you have done is proved that your "Correct Reasoning" is
incorrect.

>>> It is stipulated that math and logic are purely analytical.
>>
>> Then there exists analytical statements that are True but not Provable.
>>
>> That is PROVEN.
>
> Unprovable in F means untrue in F.
> Remove the self-contradiction then we get provable and true.

Nope, not if F can support enough Mathematics.

Your logic system is obviously now inconsistent.

>>> Empirical means that you must be able to taste, touch, smell, or hear
>>> it.
>>
>> Then read section 2.1, Mathematics, by "Thought" can "verify" concepts
>> in the domain that can not be "Proven" by mean analytic proof.
>
> If math contradicts its philosophical foundation then math is wrong.

Go ahead, announce you new logic idea, and point out that to accept it
you need to throw out the centuries of development of mathematics
because it must all be wrong.

I think you may be able to hear the crickets after that.

>> You either need to consider that "Thought" as a sense, or admit that
>> not all Analytic Statements are provable.
>>

> In the same way I will take my pet office building for a walk.

Yes, do that, it makes as much sense as your other statements.

>>> Unproven means unsound. Sound requires proven.
>>
>> You just showed that you don't know the meaning.
>>

> Validity and Soundness
> A deductive argument is said to be valid if and only if it takes a form
> that makes it impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion
> nevertheless to be false. Otherwise, a deductive argument is said to be
> invalid.
>
> A deductive argument is sound if and only if it is both valid, and all
> of its premises are actually true. Otherwise, a deductive argument is
> unsound.
> https://iep.utm.edu/val-snd/
>
> Deductive inference is a kind of proof.

So, How is "Unproven" the same an "Unsound"?

You are making a category error.

UNSOUND is a property of an ARGUEMENT.

PROVEN/UNPROVEN is a propery of a statement/preposition.

>> CLAIMING something to be True without proof is Unsound, but an
>> Unproven fact is mearly unknown.
>>

> impossisble to prove = untrue.

PROVE IT.

If you can't, your statement is UNTRUE.

I have asked you several times this question. I will take you lack of
presenting an actual proof as evidence that you don't have one, and thus
your repeaating of that statement is just you claiming something, that
by your own rules is untrue, which make you an admitted LIAR.

>> The Collbatz conjuecture is Unknown as to its Truth, but we KNOW that
>> it must be either True of False.
>>
>> The Collbatz Conjecture is NOT "Unsound", because it doesn't assert
>> that it IS true, just believed to be.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Category error

By: Mr Flibble on Sat, 14 May 2022