Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 19:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Question for Olcott [ Dennis continues to be a liar ]
From: dbush.mo...@gmail.com (Dennis Bush)
 by: Dennis Bush - Tue, 24 May 2022 02:40 UTC

On Monday, May 23, 2022 at 10:32:55 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:
> On 5/23/2022 9:23 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:

> >> No we will not.
> >
> > We all know exactly why not. Because by being clear about which H and which P we're talking about, it exposes the holes in your argument and makes it clear exactly where the problem is. So as Ben has said, clarity is your enemy.
> >
> > So explain exactly what is wrong with the below statement. Failure to explain in detail why it is wrong in your next post will be taken as not being able to explain why it is wrong and an acceptance that it is correct. Stating "strawman" without an explanation will be taken as a failure to explain.
> >
> > Simulating the input to Ha(Pa,Pa) up to an infinite number of steps is done by UTM(Pa,Pa) which halts, so Ha(Pa,Pa)==0 is wrong. And Hb(Pa,Pa)==1 which also shows that Ha(Pa,Pa)==0 is wrong. And yes the input to Ha(Pa,Pa) is the same as the input to Hb(Pa,Pa), and you have no basis to claim otherwise.
> >
> It is just like you are saying that because the dog named Spot is black
> and the cat named Fluffy is white therefore the dog named Rover cannot
> be brown.
>
> Ha(Pa,Pa)
> Hb(Pa,Pa)
> Simulate(Pa,Pa)
>
> are computationally distinct at the x86 machine language level
> and you have always known this therefore you are a damned liar.

I know that you *claim* they are distinct, but you have nothing to back that up. Both Ha and Hb are halt deciders and both are given the same exact input.

By the definition of the halting problem, Ha(Pa,Pa) must answer the question of whether Pa(Pa) halts, and Hb(Pa,Pa) must also answer the question of whether Pa(Pa) halts.

When Ha and Hb trace their identical inputs, the traces are identical up to the point that Ha aborts. Hb then simulates that same input past the point that Ha aborted all the way to a final state, showing that Ha(Pa,Pa)==0 is false.

> > If you mean "what if Pa called Hn instead of Ha" then you don't have Pa anymore. You have Pn. In that case, you ARE in fact saying that because Pn(Pn) does not halt then Ha(Pa,Pa)==0 is correct, which makes no sense.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Question for Olcott

By: Mr Flibble on Mon, 23 May 2022

136Mr Flibble