From: CALAMITY...@GMX.COM (CALAMITYJANE)
Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Re: DNS under another login?
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 05:39:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: CALAMITYJANE - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 05:39 UTC

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 00:52:39 -0000 (UTC), CALAMITYJANE
> <CALAMITYJANE@GMX.COM> wrote:
>
>>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote in

>>> Perhaps benchmarking your DNS lookups might be useful. I use this
>>> tool (mostly because I'm too lazy to find something better):
>>> <https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm>

>>> It works for me on Windoze 10. The hosts file should be here:
>>> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
>>> The etc directory is hidden.
>>>
>>> If you're using Firefox browser:
>>> <https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/dns-hosts-file/>
>>> "Firefox now uses DNS over HTTPS (or DOH) by default. That means
>>> instead of checking your local hosts file or even your DNS resolver.
>>> Firefox simply makes the DNS request over HTTPS from within the
>>> browser."
>>>
>>> Note that editing the hosts file will NOT change the name(s) of the
>>> DNS server(s) used by your machine. It will only change the name to
>>> IP address mapping. The actual names of the DNS servers are buried
>>> in the registry or set by DHCP. If you want to use a different
>>> specific DNS server, then either use the user friendly network
>>> config:
>>> Settings -> Network & Internet -> Change Adapter Settings.
>>> Then right-click on a connection and select:
>>> Properties -> IPv4 -> Properties:
>>> Select use the following DNS server address, fill in the blanks and
>>> remember save before exiting (my favorite screwup).
>>>
>>> Or, you can do it from the command line using netsh:
>>> netsh
>>> interface ip show config
>>> Find the network interface name. Ethernet 0 is a common name:
>>> interface ip set dns "Ethernet0" static 8.8.8.8
>>> Replace the 8.8.8.8 above with your desired DNS server. For the
>>> secondary DNS server, it's the same with index=2 appended:
>>> interface ip set dns "Ethernet0" static 8.8.4.4 index=2
>>>
>>> There's no way I'm going to even try to explain how to do this by
>>> editing the registry directly. I've screwed up too many machines
>>> (including my own). You have been warned.
>>>
>>> Don't forget to flush the DNS cache before testing or you will
>>> likely get lookups from previous config changes:
>>> ipconfig /flushdns
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>
>>Thanks for that additional info. Did not know that about ffox.
>>Supposedly you can add DNS entry in FFox, but must use a special
>>syntax because last time I tried would not work.
>
> There's no special syntax. DNS servers are simply the IP address of
> the server or the IP address of the various backup servers.
>
> Hamburger -> Settings -> General -> Network (bottom of page)
> If you disable (uncheck) DNS over HTTPS, you can then mangle your web
> browsers DNS settings whatever you find useful.
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-dns-over-https>
> Just remember that there is a hierarchy of DNS server and that
> "default server" means "use this DNS server if no other DNS server is
> specified. So, if you have your machine configured for:
> Firefox DNS over HTTPS (Cloudflare)
> [...]
Ok thanks. I should mention the reason I am asking about this is that I
often get failed messages from my browser "cannot find address" or other
similar dns failure messages. When I change the DNS I can get the site.
From memory it seems to happen whether I change at the browser or under
win adapter settings.

Also the example you gave of pinging google vs google's IP is NOT what I
get. I get freeze/nothing when I ping the IP and normal ping when I ping
google. But this does not happen across all DNS IPs. Some will proceed
with the ping normally and others just stall. I also often get: your
access to the network is blocked. But when I change DNS or use a VPN, I
get through. I have done a housecall virus check and all my av checks
come up negative. That is why I am suspcious of an undiscovered R.A.T. or
similar or hacking by my ISP or others sharing the router.

I will try the other shell commands you mention maybe they will shed some
light. I frequently have to change my DNS at the OS level or use a VPN to
access sites. My FW disallows most all connections except for port 80 and
443. I tried blocking p 53 with no effect.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o DNS under another login?

By: CALAMITYJANE on Sat, 9 Jul 2022

9CALAMITYJANE