computers / comp.theory / Re: H(P,P) is pure software engineering that correctly refutes the halting theorem

Re: H(P,P) is pure software engineering that correctly refutes the halting theorem

<JIKzK.464738$ntj.148936@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35648&group=comp.theory#35648

Subject: Re: H(P,P) is pure software engineering that correctly refutes the
halting theorem
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,comp.theory
<nlyzK.502768$5fVf.118235@fx09.iad>
<UsKdnYFrVr34JVP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<pUIzK.447336$70j.311658@fx16.iad>
<eP2dnZJ6CYOBw1L_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<LbKzK.32587$BZ1.1589@fx03.iad>
<lfWdnUSUDIgK71L_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 21:55:52 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 01:55 UTC

On 7/13/22 9:34 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 7/13/2022 8:20 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> I already gave Paul N a great explanation of that on comp.theory.
>>> I won't be able to see your reply there because I have you blocked
>>> there.
>>>
>>> My explanation to wjj even sums it up better:
>>>
>>> On 7/13/2022 3:51 PM, olcott wrote:
>>>  > On 7/13/2022 3:47 PM, wij wrote:
>>>  >> The property that an arbitrary program P will finish
>>>  >> running or not is  determined by running P as an
>>>  >> independent program
>>>
>>> Because that would require that a halt decider must sometimes make its
>>> halt status decision on a basis other than the actual behavior of its
>>> actual input that long standing misconception has been refuted.
>>>

>> No, because all the behavior of that program exists will be encoded in
>> the representation of the program given to the decider.
>>

> The reason that I stop talking to you is that you make false assumptions
> that are utterly impervious to all reasoning.
>
> It is a verified fact that the input that is correctly simulated by
> H(P,P) cannot possibly terminate normally. It is also a verified fact
> that the direct execution of P(P) does terminate normally.
>
> It is also common knowledge that the correct simulation of a program is
> a correct measure of the behavior of this program.
>
> This conclusively proves that H(P,P) is correct to reject its input as
> non-halting and the behavior of a non-input cannot possibly contradict
> this.

YOU SAY THAT, but it is a FACT that you H doesn't correctly simulate the
input (since it aborts it to return 0) so it doesn't MATTER that if it
was a different program it wouldn't be able to simulate to a final state.

You are just showing you don't understand the nature of what an
algorithm IS>

P calls H, and YOUR H simulates for a while, INCORRECTLY decides it
doesn't halt, and returns 0, thus making P(P) a Halting Program.

It doesn't matter that some other H that might exist that doesn't abort
results in a P(P) that doesn't halt, that isn't the H that we are
looking at the you claim correctly return 0, as THAT H never returns
from H(P,P)/

The fact that you see these two DIFFERENT H's as the same thing just
proves that YOU don't have a firm grip of what is true.

Unless you can actually provide a H that with the EXACT SAME CODE, and
as a PURE FUNCTION of its ihput does both of these, you are just caught
in the lie you have been working on for decades. This code is of course
impossible, which is why you have refused to show any version of this
code that you have claimed to have had (with "small" errors) for years.

The "Small errors" are fundamental design bugs that you may be trying to
fix, and if you actually publish your code, it will become obvious that
you have been lying about what you program does.

You keep on saying that P(P) is a non-input, but then you are shown to
LIE that your P meets the requirements of the "impossible program", as
that asks H about the behavior of itself with its input, that is P(P),
and you have coded that as H(P,P), so if the behavior of the input to
H(P,P) is not the behabior of P(P) your P is not correct, and you proof
is INVALID.

You need to change P to call H in the way that DOES ask about P(P), and
if you can't do that, you H is automattically proven wrong as you have
shown an machine and input that it can not decide.

Or perhaps more simply, you haven't shown that it gives the right answer
for the impossible program, because you never asked it about it.

You are showing your total lack of understanding of the basics of
computation theory, or even basic logic. Your "proof" is a model for how
not to try to prove something.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o H(P,P) is pure software engineering that correctly refutes the

By: olcott on Thu, 14 Jul 2022

54olcott