LOAD "LINUX",8,1 -- Topic on #LinuxGER

computers / comp.theory / Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering (Mike fails to comprehend)

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering (Mike fails to comprehend)

<OCGAK.489158$ntj.396211@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35738&group=comp.theory#35738

Subject: Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software
engineering (Mike fails to comprehend)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<Z-Cdnesq2--h5kz_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<47dc4226-b73d-42cd-81aa-7b31b554ef5an@googlegroups.com>
<QvednSpQ2vbfCEz_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<37ffd9c1-9751-4ed4-a036-0a83bb02783dn@googlegroups.com>
<gMudnZK_8_u5Qk__nZ2dnUU7-SfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<bSBAK.186899$9j2.125246@fx33.iad>
<FPednY0U5a_-jE7_nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<cNqdndVCLrUNhk7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 18:05:33 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:05 UTC

On 7/16/22 4:12 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 7/16/2022 2:28 PM, Mike Terry wrote:

>>> But "incomplete" is incorrect if your logic assumes that the
>>> simulation not reaching the final state PROVES non-halting.
>>
>> I don't believe PO thinks that, irrespective of how badly he explains
>> things.  I think he believes that the simulation would never halt
>> *because his never-halting-abort test matched*, NOT simply as a
>> consequence of aborting.  E.g. he seems to understand that a simulator
>> that steps 10 steps then stops regardless, does not imply that the
>> simulated computation does not halt.
>>
>> Although... he doesn't properly understand what halting means, and
>> gets hopelessly confused by various wordings, so discussing any of
>> this with him is quite futile.  Seriously - just don't bother!!
>>
>>> "Simulation" as a word by itself implies complete and correct, and
>>> "Correct Simulation" implies Complete in normal English usage.
>>
>> That's an opinion, and it's one way to go.  To me "simulating" is an
>> /activity/ that H performs - it means calcultating succesive steps of
>> a given computation.  (Without implied /completeness/.)
>>>
>>> Yes, to be very precise we could everywhere say complete and correct
>>> simulation, but that gets wordy.
>>
>> No need - everywhere in these threads where "H simulates..." is used,
>> the meaning is nearly always my interpretation, not yours.  I don't
>> agree yours is the default/correct interpretation - at least it's not
>> the useful one.  In the event that you want to refer to a complete
>> simulation, you can just say "full simulation" or "complete
>> simulation", but that IMO hardly ever arises.  (Or we could make the
>> most common scenario more wordy, by always emphasising "partial
>> simulation".) Anyway, this seems to be a non-issue...
>>

>>> The key point is that H stops its simulating, AND THEN PRESUMES that
>>> this simulation, if continued correctly, would never halt.
>>
>> Yes, all the regulars here understand this mistake, if not it's
>> origin. BUT THERE IS NO POINT TRYING TO EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM TO PO - HE
>> IS INTELLECTUALLY INCAPABLE OF FOLLOWING ABSTRACT REASONING OR
>> UNDERSTANDING THE REQUIRED CONCEPTS.  Surely you must have come to
>> this conclusion after all this time?
>>

> A computation is said to terminate normally when it completes all of its
> steps by reaching its last instruction. It is shown below that P
> essentially calls H in infinite recursion and is rejected by H as
> non-halting on that basis.

Except that it ISN'T infinite recursion if H has code that allows it to
stop its simulation

> *Mike doesn't seem to comprehend this*
> *Mike doesn't seem to comprehend this*
> *Mike doesn't seem to comprehend this*
> *Mike doesn't seem to comprehend this*

OLCOTT doesn't understand this

Remember, if main calls H(P,P) and H(P,P) returns 0, then when P(P)
calls H(P,P) then H WILL Return 0 (or H is PROVED not to be the needed
pure function), and when H returns 0 to P, it will Halt.

If P(P) Halts, then H(P,P) returning 0 is NOT the correct answer.

> typedef void (*ptr)();
> int H(ptr p, ptr i); // simulating halt decider
>
> void P(ptr x)
> {
>   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
>   if (Halt_Status)
>     HERE: goto HERE;
>   return;
> }
>
> int main()
> {
>   Output("Input_Halts = ", H(P, P));
> }
>
> When simulating halt decider H(P,P) simulates its input it can see that:
> (1) Function H() is called from P().
> (2) With the same arguments to H().
> (3) With no instructions in P preceding its invocation of H(P,P) that
> could escape repeated simulations.

Your repeating this PROVES you are a pathological liar as this rule is
HOT true as you use it.

FAIL

> The above shows that the simulated P cannot possibly (reachs it “return”
> instruction and) terminate normally. H(P,P) simulates its input then P
> calls H(P,P) to simulate itself again. When H sees that this otherwise
> infinitely nested simulation would never end it aborts its simulation of
> P and rejects P as non-halting.

No, the above shows you do not understand how computers actually work.

> Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361701808_Halting_problem_proofs_refuted_on_the_basis_of_software_engineering

A bunch of lies based on faulty rules.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering

By: olcott on Sat, 2 Jul 2022

123olcott