Subject: Re: A plea...
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<20220717230620.00001532@reddwarf.jmc.corp> <Um0BK.514846$ntj.83746@fx15.iad>
<20220717235402.00002719@reddwarf.jmc.corp> <hO0BK.48201$Ae2.4639@fx35.iad>
<20220718002744.00002d25@reddwarf.jmc.corp> <up2BK.40810$Sf2.38749@fx34.iad>
<20220718021821.000056d2@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 21:35:18 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 01:35 UTC

On 7/17/22 9:18 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 21:09:45 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 7/17/22 7:27 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> It returns BOTH true AND false to P as it doesn't YET know if P is
>>> pathological and if it isn't whether it halts or not; it will find
>>> that out as the simulation continues.
>>>

>> Your confusing what the actual function T does and how T simulates
>> recursive calls to T.
>>
>> If T sees a call to T with the same parameter(s) as a previous call
>> to T (or the original call to T) had, you replace them with a split
>> where you return true to one side and return false to the other and
>> process.
>>
>> When T is called by an actually running P, it needs to return the
>> full decision, including the exception to that P, just as it does if
>> directly asked (by main or just asked depending on how the language
>> works).
>
> That is where we disagree: I see no reason why my scheme is invalid: P
> doesn't actually care what T does, it acts on what T returns. T returns
> both halting decisions to two copies of P and allows the simulation to
> proceed with no recursion.
>

>> The question then becomes, what does P do with that third answer?
>> What are programs ALLOWED to do with that third answer.
>
> I already told you that P never sees the "third answer" (exception) as
> that happens out of band.

The directly executed P does, at least if T[P] ever generates that third
answer as an answer and "reports" it to its caller.

>> Unstopable exceptions (FATAL ERRORS) become very unfriendly in use,
>> but may be simpler to deal with in theory (but a lot less useful).
>
> In your opinion; again I disagree.

How often does YOUR computer just shut itself down in reponse to being
given a bad probem?

THAT is the actual effect of a truely unstoppable exception.

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH time.

>> If you can't write a program that does something like, try to do
>> thing 1, but if that throws a contradiction error, do thing 2 instead.
>>
>> This brings up the interesting question, if the input to T throws a
>> contradiction error, what should T return? If contradiction errors
>> are uncatchable, then the only choice is to return that same
>> contradiction error, EVEN IF THE OTHER PATH HAD A GOOD ANSWER.
>
> You need to re-read my proposal again but this time try to FULLY
> UNDERSTAND IT and understand the implications.

It says that pathology is detected and reported.

In Computation Theory a function "reports" by returning an answer in
some way to its caller.

The big problem is that H may not know HOW its report is supposed to be
given. That is the problem with fatal execeptions.

>>> Once pathological input is detected it is a FATAL error in the form
>>> of a signaled exception -- sNaP (signaling Not a Program) -- hence
>>> why I call it a signaling halt decider.
>>
>> Is that an uncatchable signal, so a program can't ask the decider
>> about one input, and if that is contradictory, try another? (in
>> essence it is a call exit operation)
>
> /Flibble

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o A plea...