Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 07:40:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Reviewers interested in an honest dialogue will acknowledge these
key facts: [111]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<07698f08-923f-49e6-a1f1-dee579dbf75en@googlegroups.com>
<a5mdnQ3mkuj05XX_nZ2dnZfqlJzNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<a85b298b-ce08-4996-815f-4e68b3b7eb82n@googlegroups.com>
<nc-dnZkeOt9A4nX_nZ2dnZfqlJzNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<a46970f7-a32e-4fe5-b1cc-9c6b841ea0dfn@googlegroups.com>
<aKCdnQm9krLMWHT_nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com>
<5821b5e8-09ee-44df-a35a-fd728cdc27e7n@googlegroups.com>
<hf2dnbQU96_rnnf_nZ2dnZfqlJ_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<cc97c9c0-ccda-49f4-9132-683ca0a32e4cn@googlegroups.com>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:40 UTC

On 8/3/2022 6:46 AM, Dennis Bush wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 1:11:37 AM UTC-4, olcott wrote:

>>> That doesn't answer my question. Is it possible for to create an algorithm H that implements the following specification?
>>>
>>> H(X,Y)==1 if and only if X(Y) halts, and
>>> H(X,Y)==0 if and only if X(Y) does not halt
>> *The above specification is incoherent
>
> So you're saying that it's impossible to create an H that meets this specification?

In the same way that it is impossible to correctly answer this question:
What time is it (yes or no)?

*The above spec is flat out wrong in some cases*
No one ever noticed this before because they never examined simulating
halt decider thoroughly enough to see that the behavior of the correctly
simulated input by H diverges from the directly executed P(P).

The ultimate measure of the behavior of the input is the correct
simulation of this input by H.

A halt decider must compute the mapping from its inputs to an accept
or reject state on the basis of the actual behavior that is actually
specified by these inputs.

int sum(int x, int y) { return x + y; }
Otherwise you have something like sum(3,4) returning the sum of 4+5.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Reviewers interested in an honest dialogue will acknowledge these key

By: olcott on Sun, 31 Jul 2022

234olcott