Premature optimization is the root of all evil. -- D. E. Knuth

computers / comp.theory / Re: Is "This statement is false" a proposition?

Re: Is "This statement is false" a proposition?

<eSaKK.81168$mY1.55650@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37634&group=comp.theory#37634

Subject: Re: Is "This statement is false" a proposition?
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<dd2c4117-8e7c-4c37-9124-c44267a40a47n@googlegroups.com>
<aNAJK.87753$Sf2.14305@fx34.iad>
<9bba33fd-cce6-4458-9ec9-8cf1d81eebdfn@googlegroups.com>
<hANJK.130090$dh2.34149@fx46.iad>
<f851a67f-8d22-4bb2-940b-22cc5f7c13ccn@googlegroups.com>
<ChVJK.908837$JVi.319964@fx17.iad>
<204c9b98-be7f-4041-8cfc-198d721a9c09n@googlegroups.com>
<yuWJK.778360$J0r9.612591@fx11.iad>
<6d646638-6627-4686-827b-eafb690bcb02n@googlegroups.com>
<_bYJK.738017$ntj.278195@fx15.iad>
<49d9e421-29c4-4c03-9351-e22ca1c60787n@googlegroups.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 14:08:10 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 18:08 UTC

Summary of the below:

You don't understand what you are talking about becaus you refuse to
actually try to know something.

Simple points:

It is proven that we can not prove everything.

Some things MUST be assumed to be true.

It is "best" if these assumptions come from what has been emperically
been shown to lead to logic that produces good results, verses logic
that produces "unreal" results.

Those assumptions, that have been proven over the test of time, are what
we know as the First Principles.

Yes, we can look at deviating from these, but we need to do this
DELIBERATELY and with CLARITY, and see what develops and perhaps broaden
our understand.

For example, at one point it was assumed as a First Principle that two
lines both a right angle to a third line, non-coincident, and co-planar,
would keep a constant distance from each other as far as you went.

At some later point, this concept was challanged, and thoght experements
were done imagining systems where this did not hold, and the results
analyized, which brough forward the concept of Non-Euclidian Geometry.

Similarly, by careful chalenging First Principles, we have gotten things
like Complex Numbers, Trans-Finite Mathematics of various flavors, and
even things like the Theory of Relativity.

There have also likely been many other attempts that didn't result in
useful findings, because the rules ARE more solidly fixed, or we haven't
thought of the right way they can be generalized. Most of these don't
get much notice, or just a notice as a Good Attempt, because the people
doing them make it clear what they are attempting to do, and the
ACKNOWLEDGE that they are INTENTIONALLY trying to deviate from the
accepted First Principles.

There are also people who just tried to ignore the First Princples, and
became known as laughing stocks because there work just didn't "work",
and it it clear that the failure was due to ignoring first principles.

You seem to be aimed at this last category

If you ARE actually looking at the Logic of the Rules, you should know
about the First Principles, and understand how they came about.

Yes, you might challange some of them, but you would do this not by
INGORING them, but by looking them straight in the eye and work on the
reason they WERE accepted in the first place. There are reasons.

As an example, yes, long ago, the existence of the Natural Numbers were
just taken as a First Principle (and many still do), but some people
were unhappy with that and worked on a way to reduce how much just
needed to be assumed to make them work. Thus came the various method to
"generate" the Natural numbers, which (generally) don't change the
nature of the Natural Numbers, but some of them show ways to generalize
them to broader concepts, sometimes even to including things like
infinitesimals.

On 8/13/22 11:16 PM, Skep Dick wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 August 2022 at 03:27:25 UTC+2, richar...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Burden of proof is on the one promposing change. First Principles are
>> the establish system, so the burden of proof is on YOUR side.
> I am not proposing any changes? I am proposing that the established system doesn't have first principles!
>
> It may serve various purposes and goals, but it has no "first principles".\
>
>> First Principle are those fundamentals that we find SO fundamental and
>> obvious that we accept them "universally" as Axioms, without proof,
>> because without them we have nothing to base a proof on.
> So what? In the words of Donald Knuth: Beware of bugs in the code - I have only proven it correct, not tried it!
>
>> principles that have stood the test of time and conditions, and have
>> been found to be UNIVERSALLY true in any system that actually turned out
>> to be useful.
> Are you actually going to show me those principles; or are you just going to keep endlesly talking about them?
>
>> You reject First Principles, therefore you have no accepted universal
>> axioms to base any of your proof on, so you can't actually "prove"
>> anything to be actually true, only that it seems to fit within your
>> system.
> Yes. I don't understand why this needs saying or repeating?
>
> I don't subscribe to your religious mindset.
>
> I am a pragmatist, not a foundationalist.
> The "universal principles" that worked yesterday stopped working today. Shit changed!
>
>> You have to "hope" that the things you "arbitrarily" chose as
>> your basis (since you don't have a first principle to guide what you can
>> choose) to actually work together and be useful.
> Yep! The more I practice - the luckier I get.
>
>> I will go with the Millenniums of testing as its proof.
> The test of time is not a proof. It's an empirical test.
>
> For all your insistence on "standard definitions" you still don't know the difference between the formal and the empirical.
>
>> The experiance of the ages.
> The experience of the ages, the knowledged passed down comes in the form of practical rituals - not in the form of principles.
>
> It's one thing to put principles to paper - it's another thing to act them out.
>
>>> Well, what makes your thumb-sucking better than my thumb-sucking?
>> Because it is based on the testing of ages.
> Oh yeah? And which ones survived?
>
>> And how do you actually test that if you don't have a foundation to
>> provide any data that is meaningful.
> I don't need a foundation. Just a system for collecting the data I need.
>
>> You are defining that your system is just symbolic, but "bad" is
>> semantic, so you need to know meaning to determine if something "bad"
>> will happen.
> Bad is not semantic. It's a judgment. If we could encode "badness" in semantics we would've
> worked out this whole "morality" stuff by now and left the AI to run the place.
>
>> You lost you definitions of things when you stripped the Theorems from
> [...]

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Is "This statement is false" a proposition?

By: wij on Mon, 8 Aug 2022

61wij