I'm a Lisp variable -- bind me!

computers / comp.theory / Re: Here is what a computer scientist that has been published in CACM said about my work [competence?]

Re: Here is what a computer scientist that has been published in CACM said about my work [competence?]

<82CKK.917261$JVi.344055@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37759&group=comp.theory#37759

Subject: Re: Here is what a computer scientist that has been published in CACM
said about my work [competence?]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<20220814205543.00006c29@reddwarf.jmc.corp> <tdbqq3$1cg2$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<cveKK.768959$ssF.612517@fx14.iad>
<2h-dnZQ8E7yD42T_nZ2dnZfqlJ9g4p2d@giganews.com>
<SzfKK.916573$JVi.396684@fx17.iad>
<MLOcnbPjLuakG2T_nZ2dnZfqlJ9g4p2d@giganews.com>
<UqgKK.136200$Me2.116425@fx47.iad>
<_KucnbJJWuzxAWT_nZ2dnZfqlJ_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<HkhKK.793605$wIO9.479008@fx12.iad>
<PuidnRegb5XZOWT_nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>
<OFhKK.730625$5fVf.417433@fx09.iad>
<Otqdnd4GfKOiNWT_nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>
<KZhKK.772181$zgr9.340328@fx13.iad>
<tEmdnfEhQrIvM2T_nZ2dnZfqlJ_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sqqKK.137501$Me2.29783@fx47.iad>
<T9GdncITtZzow2f_nZ2dnZfqlJ9g4p2d@giganews.com>
<d2AKK.1016233$X_i.4836@fx18.iad>
<t5idnUq6Z-PBRWf_nZ2dnZfqlJzNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<3BBKK.730686$5fVf.367715@fx09.iad>
<Vp6dnZdlCtCndWf_nZ2dnZfqlJzNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 21:04:04 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 01:04 UTC

On 8/15/22 8:43 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/15/2022 7:33 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> The algorithm implemented by H:
>>> The correct simulation by H(P,P), never stops running until H aborts it.
>>
>> No, the algorithm implemented by your H is to abort the simulation of
>> P(P) as soon as it calls H(P,P).
> So you don't know the difference between an algorithm and its
> implementation?
>
> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/introduction-to-algorithms/
>
> The algorithm: A simulating halt decider (SHD) continues to simulate its
> input until it correctly matches a non-halting behavior pattern or the
> input halts on its own. If a non-halting behavior pattern is matched
> then the SHD aborts the simulation of its input and reports non-halting.
> If the input halts on its own the SHD report halting.

Right. But, to be an algorithm, you need to SPECIFY the list of
non-halting behavior patterns, not just say it "match one" without
providing them,

Note, from the page you mention:
Finite-ness: The algorithm must be finite, i.e. it should terminate
after a finite time.

"Proving a pattern is non-halting" is not a finite algorithm.

"Proving" something is not an algorithmic step, as there is no guarantee
that something CAN be proved in finite time.

That is just the assuming a Halt Decider exists fallacy.

The pattern you CLAIM, is proved to not be correct, so your specific
implementation is incorrect.

Obviously, you still don't understand what an algorithm is.

Remember, the concept of an algorithm is that it is detailed enough that
a simple program could just code based on the description (or someone
could just execute it by following it).

Without an actual list of patterns, it can't just be followed.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Here is what a computer scientist that has been published in CACM

By: olcott on Sun, 14 Aug 2022

234olcott