Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:42:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Here is what a computer scientist that has been published in CACM
said about my work [stupid]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<buidnToEtpcwuGD_nZ2dnZfqlJzNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220817183552.00003ac2@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<KaudnSE1cOxGtWD_nZ2dnZfqlJ_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220817185332.000055a8@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<dL-dnb-VKthBsGD_nZ2dnZfqlJzNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220817190914.00000957@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<5bqdnbEipbUmsmD_nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>
<20220817192111.00005fee@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<AaudnXo0RuTirmD_nZ2dnZfqlJzNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220817193526.00003e70@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 18:42 UTC

On 8/17/2022 1:35 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:29:36 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/17/2022 1:21 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> P doesn't "have a simulation", a crucial point you keep missing, P
>>> doesn't care what kind of decider H is. Also my SHD does not fork
>>> off into "two different processes", the *simulation* is forked and
>>> P is totally unaware that that has happened, which IMO is a
>>> perfectly legit, original approach to the problem.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> Yet you cannot even specify the code for the "if statement" that
>> determines that it should do this.
>>
>> if (some how some way the halt decider determines that its input
>> halts) report halting
>> else if (some how some way the halt decider determines that its input
>> does not halt)
>> report non-halting
>> else
>> report pathological input
>
> I only need to specify code if I was to actually implement it.

What you have done is the same as if I said:
"I have a cure for cancer" where my "cure" is:
(1) Find a cure for cancer
(2) Then we have a cure for cancer.

> Implementing a simulating halt decider is not particularly hard:
> detecting halting is trivial and detecting non-halting is done by
> detecting duplication of the finite machine state

Which is the most important part and you did not
even do this in the simplest possible case:

void Infinite_Loop()
{ HERE: goto HERE;
}

_Infinite_Loop()
[00001102](01) 55 push ebp
[00001103](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00001105](02) ebfe jmp 00001105
[00001107](01) 5d pop ebp
[00001108](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0007) [00001108]

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Here is what a computer scientist that has been published in CACM

By: olcott on Sun, 14 Aug 2022

234olcott