Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 08:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
<PBqKK.1014479$X_i.673901@fx18.iad> <b47254ce-9891-4003-92e3-42cd12c17740n@googlegroups.com>
<b806ee32-7e63-4779-970a-50b0d203f366n@googlegroups.com> <87mtc5796l.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<4f840e59-7460-462a-b9b4-a82e82354c0en@googlegroups.com> <tdg2u8$tpm$1@news.muc.de>
<e7b9ea02-6848-4d5d-908a-ec19245a53a2n@googlegroups.com> <7oVKK.752363$ntj.513131@fx15.iad>
<81fdd33f-4fe4-44c7-822f-1f652d6d5161n@googlegroups.com> <FHXKK.774656$ssF.400952@fx14.iad>
<e527b893-0a3d-4348-8a83-436259726ebfn@googlegroups.com> <Z6_KK.674880$vAW9.607745@fx10.iad>
<ea8e1b2a-a910-4137-bfac-6c492b0ac678n@googlegroups.com> <F%4LK.1059939$X_i.291921@fx18.iad>
<88909af4-4bff-4836-b039-35a96a147578n@googlegroups.com> <CDgLK.117513$Lx5.50925@fx02.iad>
<4b309eeb-3e5c-4b7f-94c0-f38e04012dacn@googlegroups.com> <41370ec1-aefc-40e3-b844-e512eed4d414n@googlegroups.com>
<AWKLK.269147$vZ1.217250@fx04.iad> <5b1cd0ee-e2eb-4512-8459-b29a297bbf1dn@googlegroups.com>
<P7NLK.111955$%e2.69835@fx40.iad>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Definition of Infinity
From: wynii...@gmail.com (wij)
 by: wij - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:17 UTC

On Friday, 19 August 2022 at 22:30:10 UTC+8, richar...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 8/19/22 10:14 AM, wij wrote:

> >> But that step presumes that we are ALLOWED to mix ∞ with other numbers
> >> in the mathematical operators.
> >
> > Yes, allowed, like x<∞ (may not be precise) occurs in many textbooks.
> > You just showed your bias, not what your math. shows.
> >
> >> Yes, we can define the "order" relationships on this "extended value" of
> >> infinity, but that doesn't mean that it has fully been broght into the
> >> family.
> >
> > What kind of 'fully'. Did I show fully?
> Things like ∞ doesn't have all the properties of an actual Real Number.

You rejected it for precise meaning.
Not ∞ itself lacks property. You make ∞ to denote fuzzy notion.

> For instance, given:
>
> x < ∞
>
> we can NOT say that:
>
> x-1 < ∞-1
>
> because ∞ doesn't have a defined Mathematics in the Real Number System.
>
> ∞ can't be involved in "Algerbra" in the Real Number system.

Did you see the proposed definition? It works perfectly in algebra.

> >> In fact, we find that we can't even say that ∞ == ∞, as that is enough
> >> to cause problems. Infinities are ordered with the Reals, but only very
> >> limited with each other. -∞ < ∞ but that is about all we can say.
> >
> > You admit 'ordered' now.
> > So you simply just don't know how algebra works based on definition, definition man.
> > Do you really understand how 'assumption' works in math.?
> Do you?
>
> Algebra deals with values in the system. ∞ is NOT a "value" in the Real
> Number system. it is a special concept that has some limited properties
> in Relationship to the system.
Really surprised, you don't really understand algebra.
Let me correct you. Algebra deals with SYMBOL. Your notion of 'value' is basically
used by engineers. Engineers can and often assume value too small is zero, math.(logic) cannot.

> The key point you miss is that when you go into one of the Extended Real
> Number Systems where we add some form of infinity, we need to change the
> rules of the Algebra that we are using (You do understand that it is "An
> Algerbra", not "The Algebra", unless you make it "The Algerbra of the
> Real Number System")

That is how definition works and why it is for, to define an ARBITRARY system.
People in academic environment HAS TO do their math. in the way like Extended
Real Number. They cannot deny existing math. or there are big, very real troubles.

> I learned that in High School.

I learned it by myself.

> >> And you stated part of the problem, in a real sense ∞ is NOT "unique",
> >> there are MANY infinities that all have some common properties, but they
> >> are not all the same.

> > Why you repeatedly skip the other nonetheless important questions? If I won't get answer,
> > I will keep asking to remind you of your understanding is really like POO Halt.
> > Those questions are clear and simple. You just showed you evade in various ways
> > possible and keep talking about your definition/first principle/math (bias, really).
> When the later question are based on the error done first, they can't
> actually be answered.

Understood now.

> Fundamentally, your issue is that The Real Number System is definied one
> way, but you want something different. You seem to want an Extended Real
> Number System, but won't accept that some of the rules you like from the
> Reals don't work anymore.

You have revealed your understanding, I won't ask. But, please don't talk too much
and so affirmatively what you don't really understand.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Proposal: Definition of Infinity

By: wij on Sun, 14 Aug 2022

324wij