You have a tendency to feel you are superior to most computers.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Olcott

Re: Olcott

<FFCMK.105186$Ae2.1037@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38319&group=comp.theory#38319

Subject: Re: Olcott
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 23:24:20 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 03:24 UTC

On 8/21/22 9:44 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/21/2022 8:12 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> *YOU JUST AREN'T BRIGHT ENOUGH TO COMPREHEND THIS*
>>> When-so-ever a simulating halt decider (SHD) correctly performs a
>>> partial simulation of its input and the behavior of this partial
>>> simulation correctly matches a non-halting behavior pattern then the
>>> SHD halt decider can correctly report non-halting.
>>
>> What is the CORRECT non-halting pattern that the simulation of P(P)
>> correctly matched.
>>

> (a) H(P,P) simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)
> (b) that simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)
> (c) that simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)
> (d) that simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)...
> *Until H aborts its simulation*

Which isn't a correct non-halting pattern if H ever actually get to the
abort, and if it doesn't, then the input never matched the pattern and H
fails to answer.

The key is that that ACTUAL correct simulation of that input would then be:

(@) Simulate(P,P) simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)
(a) that simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)
(b) that simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)
(c) that simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)
(d) that simulates P(P) that calls a simulated H(P,P)...
*Until the H simulated in step (@) aborts its simulation*
(e) That simulated H returns 0 to the simulate P(P) in (@)
(f) That simulated P(P) returns and thus halts.

What step of that simulation is incorrect?

Which x86 instruction did it not simulate correctly?

Remember, you just provided in YOUR (a) - (d) a claimed correct exection
trace of H(P,P), so that trace is a correct part of the simulation of
the P(P) that calls that H(P,P)

If you disagree, prove otherwise and point out the ACTUAL INSTRUCTION
that the above doesn't match

PUT UP OR SHUT UP or be proved a liar.

Note, in your pattern, the beginning

"(a) H(P,P) simulates" isn't actually part of the simulation of the
input, as a correct simultion of an input is independent of what
simulates it, it just matters what rules have been defined for the
simulation.

You have fully defined that by stating it is an x86 simulation of the
code of P that has been provided. (Which must include the code of H, or
it doesn't actually specify the computation).

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Olcott

By: Mr Flibble on Wed, 17 Aug 2022

299Mr Flibble