Debug is human, de-fix divine.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Flibble is incompetent at software engineering

Re: Flibble is incompetent at software engineering

<KhROK.891825$70j.47021@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38734&group=comp.theory#38734

Subject: Re: Flibble is incompetent at software engineering
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<Bf2dnVii05Vx8pf-nZ2dnZfqlJ_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <tefcm7$jfn5$1@dont-email.me>
<v5IOK.865287$zgr9.246789@fx13.iad>
<20220828123458.000016e4@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<oFIOK.998752$JVi.695236@fx17.iad>
<20220828125811.00005686@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<QWIOK.844283$J0r9.808735@fx11.iad>
<20220828131850.00003222@reddwarf.jmc.corp> <0gNOK.110993$Eh2.36178@fx41.iad>
<20220828182003.00003bb7@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<TFNOK.1191828$X_i.1121392@fx18.iad>
<20220828191901.000007fa@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<QbPOK.1191832$X_i.38861@fx18.iad>
<20220828202157.00003f8c@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<ynPOK.792438$5fVf.768557@fx09.iad>
<20220828203820.00005e58@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<GfQOK.715605$vAW9.389716@fx10.iad>
<20220828213445.00002c71@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<BDQOK.1001610$JVi.478198@fx17.iad>
<20220828222322.00006dcb@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 17:40:58 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 21:40 UTC

On 8/28/22 5:23 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2022 16:56:01 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 8/28/22 4:34 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> "the Proof" not "a Proof", ergo the Halting Problem has a symbiotic
>>> relationship with the "Impossible Program" proof alone.
>>>
>>> If you disagree then please present an alternative proof that has no
>>> relationship to the "Impossible Program" whatsoever if we are to
>>> progress this further.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> The big problem is the other proofs tend to require knowledge of some
>> higher level maths.
>>
>> Diagonalization is another simple proof, but that could be looked at
>> as the impossible program just with a different skin.
>>
>> One other source is from the uncomputability of the Busy Beaver
>> function (which is shown non-computable without reference to the
>> Halting Problem) for sufficiently large N.
>>
>> If Halting WAS determinable, then the Busy Beaver Function would be
>> computable by simple enumerating the full set of the finite number of
>> Turing Machines of the given size, weed out those that don't halt,
>> and run the ones that will and see what the longest output is.
>>
>> There are others, but I won't claim to know them well, or the math
>> behind them.
>
> You are failing to present a good case that the Halting Problem isn't
> all about the "Impossible Program" contradiction.
>
> /Flibble

The fact that there was a period of time with the Halting Problem but no
Impossible Program in sight should be a key point.

Hard to create something about something you have no concept of.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Blocking/ignoring your reviewers

By: Mr Flibble on Sat, 27 Aug 2022

71Mr Flibble