computers / comp.theory / Re: The problem with using Turing machines to study the theory of computation [DCTS]

Re: The problem with using Turing machines to study the theory of computation [DCTS]

<3LmPK.10990$wLZ8.4474@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38897&group=comp.theory#38897

Subject: Re: The problem with using Turing machines to study the theory of
computation [DCTS]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<f52cnUFEcOLlbpH-nZ2dnZfqlJ_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <SObPK.13$elEa.10@fx09.iad>
<TeicnQvjA9IP1pD-nZ2dnZfqlJ_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<19dPK.1526$9Yp5.373@fx12.iad>
<TKKdnar53any_5D-nZ2dnZfqlJzNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<n1ePK.46113$PRW4.34973@fx11.iad>
<xZydnUPOZe9375D-nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>
<gFePK.46115$PRW4.9292@fx11.iad>
<anGdnUEHVarL5ZD-nZ2dnZfqlJ9g4p2d@giganews.com> <mffPK.166$elEa.119@fx09.iad>
<M8WcnWou6_89HpD-nZ2dnZfqlJ_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<wIfPK.10863$wLZ8.883@fx18.iad>
<A7GdnZrqm8gYFJD-nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com> <Z3gPK.37$iiS8.36@fx17.iad>
<_eudnfbyL-rfCZD-nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:45:02 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:45 UTC

On 8/30/22 12:38 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/29/2022 11:09 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> The complete simulation of the input to H never stops.
>>
>> That isn't the input we were giving to H, so you are just lying
>> because you are caught in the trap you made for yourself.
>>

> The input is ALWAYS these machine code bytes:
> 558bec518b4508508b4d0851e82ffdffff83c4088945fc837dfc007402ebfe8be55dc3

Nope, that input doesn't fully define the behavior if you are defining
it as just an x86 machine language representation, as it includes a call
outside the byte stream.

Also, you need to specify the loading address of that byte stream, since
it wasn't generated as position independent code.

If you want that to be the input byte stream, the in addition to the
definition of the input as x86 machine language, you also need to
specify as fixed knowns the loading address and the full contents of the
rest of memory, which means you aren't ALLOWED to change your H to make
the non-aborting version, unless you don't touch the existing version at
the address it was at.

You just don't understand the actual meaning of the words you are claiming.

FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o The problem with using Turing machines to study the theory of computation

By: olcott on Sun, 28 Aug 2022

116olcott