From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc.corp (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Does everyone agree with this halt status decision?
<tenrn3$1r0ms$2@dont-email.me>
<vORPK.54863$iiS8.2759@fx17.iad>
<teoro4$1ugqi$1@dont-email.me>
<zsSPK.54871$iiS8.48000@fx17.iad>
<teoslr$hcv$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<uPSPK.62955$Ny99.48880@fx16.iad>
<teou3b$1ugqi$2@dont-email.me>
<whTPK.1826$x5w7.375@fx42.iad>
<teovro$1ugqi$3@dont-email.me>
<dyTPK.104752$PRW4.79668@fx11.iad>
<tep0n9$1ugqi$4@dont-email.me>
<VJTPK.38446$6Il8.28980@fx14.iad>
<tep1uo$1ugqi$5@dont-email.me>
<R4UPK.144450$wLZ8.8714@fx18.iad>
<tep2u7$1ugqi$6@dont-email.me>
<gxVPK.10404$6gz7.6352@fx37.iad>
<tep9oj$1ugqi$7@dont-email.me>
<7u0QK.145384$BKL8.38090@fx15.iad>
<teqfn6$1uk6$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 15:56:01 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 14:56 UTC

On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 09:31:01 -0500
olcott <none-ya@beez-wax.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/2022 6:14 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

> invalid.

> way.

> >> You are not going to be able to understand the next step until you
> >> understand that the prior step is true.
> >>
> >> H(PP,PP)==0 is stipulated to mean that Simulate(Pz,Pz) never
> >> halts.
> >
> > You can't stipulate something which is illogical or can't exist.
> >
> When I stipulate "there is a what cat sitting on my head" is code for
> the meaning that 2+3=5 then, "there is a what cat sitting on my head"
> is true.
>

> When I stipulate that H(P,P)==0 is code for Simulate(Pz,Pz) never
> stops running then H(P,P)==0 is true.
>
> In BASIC when
> 100 let X = 5
> when it not free to interprets that value of X as anthing besides 5.
>

> >> It could have been that "xyz" was stipulated to mean that
> >> Simulate(Pz,Pz) never halts.
> >>

> > But "xyz" doesn't have the bagage of being implied to be a decider.
> >
> > A Decider can only decide based on its input. Pz is not PP, so it
> > can't decide on something based on Pz when given PP.
> >
> Ah so not you are saying that the fact that P(P) halts ( P(P) is not
> an input) does not contradict the fact that H(P,P)==0.
>
> > You can't "stipulate" that H was correct at doing something it can
> >
> not do.
> I can stipulate "I really want a cup of tea" is code for
> Simulate(Pz,Pz) never halts.
>

> > You need to explain HOW H is able to decide on Pz when given PP.
> H is deciding what its own behavior would be if it never aborted the
> simulation of its input. It does that by analyzing the behavior of
> its proxy.
>
> void Infinite_Recursion(int N)
> {
> Infinite_Recursion(N);
> }
>
> int main()
> {
> Output("Input_Halts = ", H((u32)Infinite_Recursion, 0x777));
> }
>
> H(Infinite_Recursion, 0x777) analyzes the behavior of
> Simulate(Infinite_Recursion, 0x777).
>
> void Infinite_Loop()
> {
> HERE: goto HERE;
> }
>
> H0(Infinite_Loop) analyzes the behavior of Simulate(Infinite_Loop).
>
> Simulate(Pz,Pz) never stops running is the proxy for H(P,P) when H
> never aborts the simulation of its input.
>
> When H never aborts the simulation of its input then H(P,P) <*IS*>
> Simulate(Pz,Pz).

This isn't the Halting Problem, though: in the Halting Problem P is
calling H not Simulate and here you are talking about something
different again whereby P is not even calling H or Simulate. Stop
pretending you are talking about the Halting Problem when you are not.

/Flibble

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Does everyone agree with this halt status decision?

By: olcott on Tue, 30 Aug 2022

315olcott