From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Hx(Px,Px)==0 is proven to be correct (refuting halting problem
proofs)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 14:10:06 -0500
<Ti9SK.18663$0qy7.17976@fx40.iad> <tfb7sj$baaq$2@dont-email.me>
<tOaSK.35980$OR4c.10603@fx46.iad> <tfbeph$bs4l$1@dont-email.me>
<RabSK.181327$BQA7.8966@fx41.iad> <tfbfiq$bs4l$2@dont-email.me>
<VsbSK.112952$IRd5.101283@fx10.iad> <tfbhb7$esf7$1@dont-email.me>
<iTbSK.120730$w35c.120364@fx47.iad> <tfbi8l$esf7$2@dont-email.me>
<i7cSK.401962$Ny99.5939@fx16.iad> <tfbjco$esf7$3@dont-email.me>
<emcSK.83025$tRy7.78649@fx36.iad> <tfbkds$esf7$4@dont-email.me>
<gKcSK.184402$PRW4.171396@fx11.iad> <tfbmdl$esf7$5@dont-email.me>
<ee8040b3-041c-4df0-a0c9-e39664c58b97n@googlegroups.com>
<tfd2vo$1jka$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<3da8a864-d868-4047-94c7-ac9c9b1a753cn@googlegroups.com>
<tfdqkt$iqn$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<7b0fb153-b04e-429f-baea-dfb0d3a59ea3n@googlegroups.com>
<tffi0m$1plu$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<e02a6c63-932a-4ef2-8c48-66d59fe855c5n@googlegroups.com>
<tffvu7$13kpg$1@dont-email.me>
<312c73bc-86ad-45d3-b57c-296e64f8db65n@googlegroups.com>
 by: olcott - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 19:10 UTC

On 9/9/2022 1:36 PM, Paul N wrote:
> On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 7:16:42 PM UTC+1, olcott wrote:

>>> If you mean the four lines just above, no, I am not clear what they say. I'm not even sure you know what they say. I think you need some words after the second "therefore" to make them make sense.
>>>

>> void Px(ptr x)
>> {
>> int Halt_Status = Hx(x, x);
>> if (Halt_Status)
>> HERE: goto HERE;
>> return;
>> }
>>
>> int main()
>> {
>> Output("Input_Halts = ", Hx(Px, Px));
>> }
>> The code for Px is fully specified. The code for Hx is the infinite set
>> of every C function that takes a pair of ptr arguments. These arguments
>> can be ignored, summed together, multiplied together, simulated, or
>> anything else. One element of Hx ignores its arguments, translates the
>> Lord's prayer into ancient Egyptian and returns 56.
>>
>> A subset of these C functions perform a correct partial or complete
>> simulation of their input. In none of the elements of this set does Px
>> ever reach its final state.
>>
>> A subset of the original set return a value of 0, which turns out to be
>> the correct answer to the question:
>>
>> Does there exist any element of the infinite set of Hx/Px pairs such
>> that Px correctly simulated by Hx reaches the final state of Px?
>>
>> One element of the prior set correctly matches a correct infinite
>> behavior pattern, aborts the simulation of its input on the basis and
>> returns 0.
>
> You've quoted the code of Px above, are you really incapable of actually understanding it? Let's see:
>
> void Px(ptr x)
> {
> int Halt_Status = Hx(x, x); // you say that Hx(x, x) returns 0, so Halt_Status is set to zero
>> if (Halt_Status) // Halt_Status is zero, so this "if" fails...
>> HERE: goto HERE; // ... and so this line is not executed ...
>> return; // ... and we get to here.
>> }
>
> So Px halts. There is no infinite behaviour pattern.

I have to update my last reply because I realized that it was not
accurate. I really only want an honest dialogue and I incorrectly said
that you made a mistake that you did not make.

A simulating halt decider (SHD) only reports on the behavior of what its
complete and correct simulation of its input would be, it never reports
on the actual behavior of what its partial simulation is.

If a SHD reported on whether or not its input stopped running then in
those cases where the simulated input stopped on its own and those cases
where the simulation was aborted the simulated input stopped running.
This derives a correct halt decider with no discernment every input is
reported to stop running.

To allow a SHD to have discernment it answers a different question:
Does any correct simulation of its input reach the final state of this
input?

This question also answers the classic HP question:
Does the direct execution of your input halt?

int Hx(ptr x, ptr y)
{ x(y);
}

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Hx(Px,Px)==0 is proven to be correct (refuting halting problem

By: olcott on Tue, 6 Sep 2022

191olcott