Nothing ever becomes real until it is experienced. -- John Keats

computers / comp.theory / Re: Simulating halt decider axiom

Re: Simulating halt decider axiom

<iSakL.63116$gGD7.44323@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42218&group=comp.theory#42218

Subject: Re: Simulating halt decider axiom
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<06fe8f48-76e3-4625-9c03-bf5cb1638954n@googlegroups.com>
<tmqifo$jqlr$1@dont-email.me> <tmqkl8$k4ni$1@dont-email.me>
<f6fd7ed4-59a4-4e16-9502-2fa63516b712n@googlegroups.com>
<tmqms4$k4ni$2@dont-email.me> <wP5kL.9175$vBI8.9151@fx15.iad>
<tmqpur$1ekh$1@gioia.aioe.org> <Gg6kL.9315$vBI8.8760@fx15.iad>
<tmqs5g$kk66$1@dont-email.me> <Iq7kL.185778$GNG9.125@fx18.iad>
<tmr39h$lfs6$1@dont-email.me> <nB8kL.3432$Ldj8.1055@fx47.iad>
<tmr5an$lfs6$2@dont-email.me> <Nb9kL.16018$iU59.12245@fx14.iad>
<tmrc51$mevf$1@dont-email.me>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 17:12:44 -0800
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 01:12 UTC

On 12/7/22 4:46 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 12/7/2022 5:19 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> That no proof is currently known to exist is not at all the same thing
>>> as no proof can possibly exist because the expression of language is
>>> self-contradictory.
>>
>> ??? What is the self-contraction? Are you denying that Reality
>> actually exists?
>
> This sentence is not true.
> This sentence cannot be proven.

So?

THe first Sentence is not a Truth Bearer, that is true.

The Second Sentence is True, as The truth value of "This Sentence Can
not be Proven" has to be TRUE, as if it was false, it would meen it wqs
provable, and all provable sentences are True.

Where is the self-contradiction in the statement about proof?

You are just showing you don't know what you are talking about.

SOmething either IS or IS NOT provable, there is an excluded middle for
that sort of statement, as it deals with the EXISTANCE of a proof. A
things either DO or DO NOT exist.

>>> Every element of the entire set of analytical truth is only true because
>>> (as explained above) it is a part of a mutually self-defining
>>> interlocking semantic tautology.
>>>

>> Right, but the field of Mathematics goes BEYOND just "analytic" truth.
>>

> Mathematics ⊂ "analytic" truth, thus cannot possibly go beyond
> "analytic" truth.

Nope. Where do you get that?

>>> The former is a truth bearer with an unknown truth value and the latter
>>> is not a truth bearer at all.
>>>

>> So, what do you call a statement that MUST be True of False, because
>> it is a sttement of Empirical Fact, but can not be proven?
>>

> Not empirical at all. An empirical fact requires sense data from the
> sense organs: I see a television in my living room right now.

No, empirical relats to testing with a reality. The axioms of
mathemematic define a reality that can be tested to determine emperical
fact. The "Mind" can be consider a valid sense organ.

Note, if you want to restrict Emperical to only senses, then you can't
limit analytical to only proven or your analytical systems either can't
express the properties of Mathematics or become inconsistent.

You are about a half a century behind in your understanding of logic.

You are just repeating the errors of history because you refused to
learn from it.

>> That is what statements like "X is Provable" or "X is not Provable" are.
>>
>> Since it MUST be either True or False that a proof can exist, "X is
>> Provable" and "X is Not Provable" are Truth Bearers.
>>
>> Thus, Godel sentence is a Truth Bearer, and shown to be unprovable.
>
> Every sentence that meets the following definition is simply not a truth
> bearer in T and thus does not show that T is incomplete.

Source of this claim?

You are just proving your stupidity.

> The conventional definition of incompleteness:
> Incomplete(T) ↔ ∃φ ((T ⊬ φ) ∧ (T ⊬ ¬φ))
>
> Every self-contradictory sentence in T meets the above definition.

So you have your logic backwards.

No, because self-contradictiory statement fail to meet the requirement
of φ, which must be a truth bearer.

Note, you haven't explained how Provable(x) can ever be a non-truth bearer.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Simulating halt decider axiom

By: olcott on Sat, 3 Dec 2022

99olcott