From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: MBR2GPT problem
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 15:22:54 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:22 UTC

On 2022-02-24 12:07 a.m., Paul wrote:
> On 2/24/2022 12:38 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> 4. Windows C: 120GB

>>> Rene
>>>

>> I thought the Windows partition might show up eventually :)
>> As intended, The EFI was created before Windows.
>>   - also if one looks at that disks partitions in diskpart or a 3rd
>> party utility like Easus Partition Master or similar utility, the 16MB
>> MSR might exist between the EFI and Windows partitions.
>>
>> And Recovery sits in the right place(after Windows).
>>   - Interesting size too.
>>
>> The oddballs are those at front
>>   8 GB unallocated(understandable you moved Windows, though if that
>> was the case and Windows was first in the devices earlier days, with
>> MBR the System and Windows could have been the same partition.
>> The other odd ball is 16 GB of something.
>>
>> Imo, if working then best left alone. Recapturing that 24 GB and
>> moving the EFI with 3rd party tools or intermingling with Diskpart and
>> 3rd party tools can get messy.
>>   -lol..it might actually be easier to backup the data to external,
>> wipe to bear metal, diskpart for GPT(EFI, MSR, Windows, Recovery and
>> data partitions then clean install Windows to the Windows partition.
>>
>> Paul may have ideas too.
>
> Depending on what is in those "other" partitions, they may be
> getting auto-assigned drive letters, or they may receive fixed
> letters by the user.
>
> If for any reason, some software that happened to run in there, was
> addressed by letter, you could break something by moving them.
>
> I think I was screwing around here recently (with several backups
> available on
> the 6TB scratch), and I noticed a Windows partition change from
> C: to D: and I took that as a bad omen (the OS was not running
> at the time). The hardware discovery process plus the auto-assignment
> of letters, occasionally leads to surprises, and you have to be careful
> to not move too much stuff around.
>
> *******
>
> As for the 16MB partition, that little pecker is a menace.
>
> The MSR or Microsoft System Reserved, is merely a buffer space.
> It has no valid partition inside.
>
> If I use a tool like Paragon on it, as soon as no recognized partition
> is located inside, it's treated as if it is "corrupted". Lots of
> tools run CHKDSK as part of their routine, and that cannot end well.
> I think Paragon and Gparted, gave me a hard time. My operation would
> not complete.
>
> To move the MSR, you can use Macrium. Back up the MSR to a .mrimg,
> then drag and drop into the correct "space" in your partition lineup.
>
> I have been redoing ("cleaning") a 3TB drive here by hand, and that's how I
> handled the MSR. Drag and drop restore. The only reason the MSR
> needed to be moved, is there was some space to consolidate by
> moving C: to the left. And the MSR had to be moved left-ward and
> stop acting as a "barrier" to my partition management techniques.
> [...]

Thanks Winston and Paul for all the help and advice.

If it was my own machine I would probably try moving stuff around at my
leisure, But seeing it is my Sons and I have only limited time on it and
he depends quite heavily on its use, I think I will leave it be as it is
now working quite well,
If it were to act up badly again I would then do the nuke and pave game
with a fresh start.

Rene

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o MBR2GPT problem