From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: MBR2GPT problem
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 15:29:28 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 21:29 UTC

On 2022-02-24 3:22 p.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2022-02-24 12:07 a.m., Paul wrote:

>>> I thought the Windows partition might show up eventually :)
>>> As intended, The EFI was created before Windows.
>>>   - also if one looks at that disks partitions in diskpart or a 3rd
>>> party utility like Easus Partition Master or similar utility, the
>>> 16MB MSR might exist between the EFI and Windows partitions.
>>>
>>> And Recovery sits in the right place(after Windows).
>>>   - Interesting size too.
>>>
>>> The oddballs are those at front
>>>   8 GB unallocated(understandable you moved Windows, though if that
>>> was the case and Windows was first in the devices earlier days, with
>>> MBR the System and Windows could have been the same partition.
>>> The other odd ball is 16 GB of something.
>>>
>>> Imo, if working then best left alone. Recapturing that 24 GB and
>>> moving the EFI with 3rd party tools or intermingling with Diskpart
>>> and 3rd party tools can get messy.
>>>   -lol..it might actually be easier to backup the data to external,
>>> wipe to bear metal, diskpart for GPT(EFI, MSR, Windows, Recovery and
>>> data partitions then clean install Windows to the Windows partition.
>>>
>>> Paul may have ideas too.
>>
>> Depending on what is in those "other" partitions, they may be
>> getting auto-assigned drive letters, or they may receive fixed
>> letters by the user.
>>
>> If for any reason, some software that happened to run in there, was
>> addressed by letter, you could break something by moving them.
>>
>> I think I was screwing around here recently (with several backups
>> available on
>> the 6TB scratch), and I noticed a Windows partition change from
>> C: to D: and I took that as a bad omen (the OS was not running
>> at the time). The hardware discovery process plus the auto-assignment
>> of letters, occasionally leads to surprises, and you have to be careful
>> to not move too much stuff around.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> As for the 16MB partition, that little pecker is a menace.
>>
>> The MSR or Microsoft System Reserved, is merely a buffer space.
>> It has no valid partition inside.
>>
>> If I use a tool like Paragon on it, as soon as no recognized partition
>> is located inside, it's treated as if it is "corrupted". Lots of
>> tools run CHKDSK as part of their routine, and that cannot end well.
>> I think Paragon and Gparted, gave me a hard time. My operation would
>> not complete.
>>
>> To move the MSR, you can use Macrium. Back up the MSR to a .mrimg,
>> then drag and drop into the correct "space" in your partition lineup.
>>
>> I have been redoing ("cleaning") a 3TB drive here by hand, and that's
>> how I
>> handled the MSR. Drag and drop restore. The only reason the MSR
>> needed to be moved, is there was some space to consolidate by
>> moving C: to the left. And the MSR had to be moved left-ward and
>> stop acting as a "barrier" to my partition management techniques.
>> I went from 24 partitions, to 7 partitions.

> [...]

Last Lap, first thing, Macrium image backup of Windows 10, Then to
update where message was do you want to install Windows 11 on this
machine? YES.

One hour later it was all done, everything seems Fine, Then another
Macrium image back up of Windows 11 system.

All Done, End of Story. :-)

Rene

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o MBR2GPT problem