From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Two GPUs, one way more power efficient? How?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 02:04:01 -0400
<6ha88h9aj2mjlo7qg0rneirs9ago9gp699@4ax.com> <EQYgK.14444$hAre.1394@fx08.iad>
<t61pvn$vus$1@dont-email.me> <_D_gK.61469$qMI1.2231@fx96.iad>
 by: Paul - Wed, 18 May 2022 06:04 UTC

On 5/18/2022 12:30 AM, Bill wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 11:42 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> Good luck finding a nice case with room for a DVD/CD Drive these days.
>>
>> You can put a few optical drives in this.
>>
>> https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147053
>>
>> I like the huge fan in the door. Maybe that
>> will be suitable for the next generation
>> of "600W" video cards. You know, the video cards
>> that cost as much as a motorcycle.
>>
>>     Paul
>>

> It has a 230mm front fan. I didn't know they made them that big.
> I am hoping that there will be a "video card glut!"--it could happen, maybe. Most people only use one card at a time...

The scalpers will eventually scale back and stop attacking everything.

There might still be scalping of cards known to be available
in limited quantity. If a 4090 were to come out this minute,
the scalpers would buy all of them. Even though not planning
on selling to coin miners particularly. They would sell them
to impatient gamers and make $1000 profit off each.

But for some of the sweet spot coin miner cards, you might
see the market for them soften. Some cards give decent hash
rates at lower powers, so would be prized for some kind of
coin mining.

I would expect there is still coin mining going on, but it
would be in coins nobody has ever heard of, and with no value,
it's not like the miner can reward themselves. Just as at
one time, a Bitcoin was worth $3 and the electricity to make it,
also happened to be $3 :-)

One item I haven't heard recently, is "Chia disk drive" based
coin mining. The pressure seems to be off hard drives now,
but the declining price means my local store has weird stocking
patterns. At my particular store, all I can be sure of is
getting a 1TB WD Black boot drive if I want one.

The nice thing about hard drives, is when Windows is scanning,
scanning, scanning, I don't have to worry about wear on writes.
They can knock themselves out with the scanning. When the
scanning stops, I'll put the NVMe back :-)

Paul

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Two GPUs, one way more power efficient? How?

By: Commander Kinsey on Tue, 19 Apr 2022

462Commander Kinsey