Subject: Re: What if a cat barks?
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:05:58 -0500
 by: olcott - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 17:05 UTC

On 6/22/2021 11:47 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-06-21 21:09, olcott wrote:

>>> That's no better. A computation which is aborted doesn't halt. 'Halt'
>>> means to reach one of the final states. If you abort something it
>>> doesn't reach a final state. But the simulator itself can.
>>>

>> When we are trying to determine whether or not an infinite loop is an
>> infinite loop we can debug step through this code and see that it
>> endlessly repeats and there is no escape from this endless repetition
>> in this code. It is not really that hard.
>
> Which has nothing to do with what I wrote.

It explains the details of how a computation that must be aborted by the
halt decider to prevent the infinite execution of this computation <is>
a computation that never halts.

>>> So where is the sound deduction from which you reach the above
>>> conclusion? You start with two premises, one of which is too vague to
>>> be interpreted and the other of which is simply false. That's not how
>>> deductively sound arguments work.
>>
>> We really have to look at this in terms of H and P because there is no
>> other possible way to make sure that we examine all the details when
>> we try to imagine what a Turing machine might do.
>
> Which doesn't answer my question. Where is your 'sound deductive argument'?

(a) Every computation P that never halts unless the halt decider H
aborts this computation is a computation that never halts.

(b) X is a computation that never halts unless it is aborted by its halt
decider.

∴ (c) X is a computation that is correctly decided to be a computation
that never halts.

>>> Sure, but there is no infinite recursion (or recursion period) in the
>>> Linz example.

>>> Not necessarily. That depends entirely on what is meant by 'abort'.

>>> No. The third invocation is aborted. The simulator itself continues
>>> to run and is able to halt.

>>> Things that you believe and 'common knowledge' are not the same thing.

>>> And I am not conflating them. When you abort the simulation that
>>> doesn't entail aborting the simulator. You conflate them by
>>> concluding that the topmost program doesn't halt based on what
>>> happens to the program it is simulating.

>>> As I said, the above is just plain silly.

>>> There is no mistake in C.
>>

>> C) H decides to discontinue the simulation.
>> This is very terribly incorrect
>>
>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>
> Which is subsumed under option C. The above enumerates all logical
> possibilities.

Then you needs a (D)

(C) H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts

(D) H stops its simulation of P for some other reason.

>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>>
>> This is not at all the same thing as H arbitrarily stops simulating P
>> for possibly no good reason at all.
>
> Option C never said anything about why it aborts the simulation.

That is its horribly terrible error. To simply ignore the key most
important halt deciding criteria is a terribly awful mistake.

> Whether
> it aborts it because it MUST do so (or, in your case, because you think
> it MUST stop its simulation) or for some other reason, or for no reason
> at all, H can still halt.

When-so-ever H must abort its input to prevent the infinite execution of
this input H always correctly decides that this input never halts 100%
of all the time.

We can know this in the same way that we know that a dead person is not
alive.

>> This is not at all the same thing as H arbitrarily stops simulating P
>> for possibly no good reason at all.
>>
>> This is not at all the same thing as H arbitrarily stops simulating P
>> for possibly no good reason at all.
>>
>> This is not at all the same thing as H arbitrarily stops simulating P
>> for possibly no good reason at all.
>>

>>> Your 'self-evident' truths are wrong, as virtually everyone posting
>>> here has pointed out.

>>> Exactly which 'crucially important details' do you think we need to
>>> imagine?
>>
>> 100% of every single detail of the execution trace of the input
>> without the most minute details not totally and completely specified.
>> We just flat out can't do that with TM's of the sophistication of H
>> and P.
>
> Of course we can. People work with actual Turing Machines all the time
> and they don't have to 'imagine' anything.

Only for very trivial things.
No one has even attempted to write a C to TM compiler.

> You just don't want to work
> with actual Turing Machines because you don't understand what they are
> or how they work.
>
> André

The lack of direct memory access cripples the expressiveness of the TM
model.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein