Elliptic paraboloids for sale.

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: What if a cat barks? [ sound deduction is a proof ](infinite invocation chain)

Re: What if a cat barks? [ sound deduction is a proof ](infinite invocation chain)

<gdednWgWttxi00r9nZ2dnUU7-RvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6678&group=comp.ai.philosophy#6678

Subject: Re: What if a cat barks? [ sound deduction is a proof ](infinite
invocation chain)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng
<sb0f72$hf4$1@dont-email.me> <6POdnUnCSvCzVk79nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sb0kra$ert$1@dont-email.me> <kaudnZS1vPJiaE79nZ2dnUU7-QHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<C0_AI.793830$2A5.649020@fx45.iad>
<udKdnabaTsZvOkn9nZ2dnUU7-dvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<OlbBI.605613$J_5.348305@fx46.iad>
<fO6dnQEYd73PmEv9nZ2dnUU7-TmdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<u9oBI.267517$lyv9.157656@fx35.iad>
<eKednajHd_LtuEv9nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<ALqBI.113709$od.33914@fx15.iad>
<cvednUP16NqYokv9nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <HksBI.267$al1.209@fx26.iad>
<BuOdncUXaL2swkv9nZ2dnUU7-W-dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<6IuBI.115687$431.109356@fx39.iad>
<RKCdnSS4Ifj44Uv9nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<hxvBI.20803$9q1.10955@fx09.iad>
<I8WdnT2QqrV5G0v9nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<EZvBI.43029$7Y.22867@fx03.iad>
<yr2dnWJMMpJLBEv9nZ2dnUU7-dvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<ZmDBI.855721$nn2.135856@fx48.iad>
<e4qdnS-e7YZgokr9nZ2dnUU7-WnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<UnHBI.259012$Ms7.25415@fx34.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 11:00:00 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 16:00 UTC

On 6/26/2021 10:06 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 6/26/21 10:55 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> Yes, P halts because the H it contains terminated the simulation of
>>> another copy of its description.
>>>
>>> YOUR problem is that you think that actually means something, it doesn't
>>>

>> Whenever one invocation of the infinite invocation chain of infinite
>> recursion is aborted the whole chain terminates.
>
> WRONG, if the aborting is occurring inside the chain, which it is in
> this case.

In the computation int main() { P(P); } If no P ever halts unless some H
aborts some P this proves beyond all possible doubt that P(P) specifies
an infinitely recursive chain of invocations.

That it took me so long to find these words proves that I am a
relatively terrible communicator. On the other hand these words do
unequivocally validate that my logic was correct all along.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor