Subject: Re:_André_doesn't_know_Rice's_Theorem_[_Malcolm_]_[_self-contradiction_must_be_treated_differently_]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
References: <20210719214640.00000dfc@reddwarf.jmc> <sdnjhs$30s$1@dont-email.me> <QNOdnRIn-O3-xmL9nZ2dnUU7-fvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdnn91$k7p$1@dont-email.me> <tbGdnZb32okl_GL9nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdnrb7$al5$1@dont-email.me> <PMCdnSCWQLiK5mL9nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdnua6$n7p$1@dont-email.me> <zPudnUgsAvKV42L9nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdo03c$uid$1@dont-email.me> <d619424f-35d7-4fc2-bc33-d4b0bdb57966n@googlegroups.com> <m-mdnbNOsMXYuJ38nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdpf12$ij8$1@dont-email.me> <d46dnQp1b-ua3p38nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdpnjb$1q3$1@dont-email.me> <NpmdnV9AwpJkV538nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdqjgu$mun$1@dont-email.me> <yvKdnaD9etCe-Jz8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdrt9e$upt$1@dont-email.me> <Z6qdna6B7Zq-FZz8nZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sds8a4$djb$1@dont-email.me> <uISdndIApsxJJZz8nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdsplo$9fe$1@dont-email.me> <O62dnbVMDplJuJ_8nZ2dnUU7-UGdnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdta1u$emq$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 23:31:50 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 04:31 UTC

On 7/28/2021 11:15 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-07-28 21:51, olcott wrote:

>>> That's the DEFINITION of halting, so of course that's the only thing
>>> we should base the decision of whether P halts on.
>>>

>> This is equally the definition of not halting:
>> Every input to a simulating halt decider that only stops running when
>> its simulation is aborted unequivocally specifies a computation that
>> never halts.
>
> No, it isn't a definition of halting. At best, it is something which you
> have proposed as a *test* for halting, but it is a broken test since, at
> least according to you, it sometimes gives an answer that does *not*
> correspond to the *actual* definition of halting.

It is computationally equivalent to not halting.

>>> I fail to see any parallels between P and the liar.

>>> There's nothing self-contradictory about it.

>>> That is gibberish.

>>> But the definition of halting makes no reference to what H does at
>>> all, nor to pure simulators. whether P(P) halts is based solely on
>>> the behaviour of P(P).
>>>

>> The definition of UTM does make reference to computational equivalence
>> forcing this statement to be necessarily true:
>
> Please show me a definition of UTM which makes reference to
> computational equivalence.

The simulation of the TM description of TM P on input I is stipulated to
be computationally equivalent to P(I). In an honest dialogue I would not
have to repeat this fifty times.

>> Every input to a simulating halt decider that only stops running when
>> its simulation is aborted unequivocally specifies a computation that
>> never halts.
>
> A 'simulating halt decider' and UTM are different things.

Not while the simulating halt decider is in pure simulator mode.

>>> No. That the first P reaches its final state means that P(P) halts.
>>> The definition of halting doesn't care how or why it reaches this
>>> state. Only that it does.
>>
>> So then we must conclude the the self contradictory input causes the
>> logic of the system to be inconsistent because it proves that P halts
>> and it proves that P never halts.
>
> It shows the logic of the *decider* to be inconsistent. It doesn't show
> anything inconsistent about the definition of halting, nor does it
> provide to treat a computation which halts as anything other than a
> computation which halts.

Within the hypothesis that this is correct:
Within the hypothesis that this is correct:
Within the hypothesis that this is correct:
Within the hypothesis that this is correct:

Every input to a simulating halt decider that only stops running when
its simulation is aborted unequivocally specifies a computation that
never halts.

Then the fact that the first P of int main(){ P(P); } reaches its final
state wold seem to prove that we are getting the same contradiction as
the liar paradox.

This make perfect sense:
garbage in (self contradictory input)
garbage out (contradictory result).

> Whether P(P) halts is a question which is independent of any 'halt
> decider'.
>
> H cannot decide P(P) correctly. Other partial deciders are able to
> decide it correctly. But the definition of halting makes no reference to
> whether any other TM can decide it correctly. It refers only to whether
> P(P) reaches a final state in a finite number of steps. It does.
> Therefore it halts.

>>> The LP's "assertion that it is not true" is *not* satisfied, fully or
>>> otherwise.
>>
>> The Liar Paradox: "This sentence is not true."
>> is indeed provably not true on the basis that it leads to a
>> contradiction and on the basis that it specifies and infinite cycle.
>>
>> Only my own unique work finally resolves this:
>>
>> Apparently in all of the years prior to my original (2016) paper no
>> one ever separated the analysis of propositions into their atomic
>> units of semantic compositionality:
>> (a) Assertion  (Boolean) //  What the expression of language claims to
>> be True
>> (b) Satisfied   (Boolean) //  Whether or not the expression of
>> language is True
>
> You've raised this before. It's as meaningless now as it was when you
> first suggested it.

No it is not. It does perfectly address the issue of the liar paradox.

>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323866366_The_Notion_of_Truth_in_Natural_and_Formal_Languages
>>

>>> P(P), on the other hand, fully meets the definition of halting.

>>> The input to H is simply *data*. Halting applies to *computations*.
>>>

>> Not exactly: UTM(P,I) ≡ P(I)
>
> The inputs to a UTM are equally not a computation. They are data.

The simulation of the TM description of TM P on input I is stipulated to
be computationally equivalent to P(I). In an honest dialogue I would not
have to repeat this fifty times.

The simulation of the TM description of TM P on input I is stipulated to
be computationally equivalent to P(I). In an honest dialogue I would not
have to repeat this fifty times.

The simulation of the TM description of TM P on input I is stipulated to
be computationally equivalent to P(I). In an honest dialogue I would not
have to repeat this fifty times.

The simulation of the TM description of TM P on input I is stipulated to
be computationally equivalent to P(I). In an honest dialogue I would not
have to repeat this fifty times.

The simulation of the TM description of TM P on input I is stipulated to
be computationally equivalent to P(I). In an honest dialogue I would not
have to repeat this fifty times.

>>> Which is the wrong criterion for evaluating this. The correct
>>> criterion is simply whether P(P) reaches a final state.
>>>
>>> <snippage>

>>> Where does the definition of halting entail some class which must be
>>> treated differently? All computations either reach a final state in a
>>> finite amount of time or they do not. There is no third option.
>>>

>> It is generally always the case that self-contradictory expressions of
>> language must always be treated differently than non
>> self-contradictory expressions of language.
>
> But there is no 'self-contradictory expression of language' in the Linz
> proof.

The input is defined to contradict whatever the halt decider decides
Now we construct a new Turing machine D with H as a subroutine.
This new TM calls H to determine what M does when the input to
M is its own description ⟨M⟩. Once D has determined this information,
it does the opposite. (Sipser:1997:165)

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ paradox rather

By: olcott on Mon, 26 Jul 2021

29olcott