Subject: Re:_André_doesn't_know_Rice's_Theorem_[_Malcolm_]_[_self-contradiction_must_be_treated_differently_]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
References: <20210719214640.00000dfc@reddwarf.jmc> <sdnn91$k7p$1@dont-email.me> <tbGdnZb32okl_GL9nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdnrb7$al5$1@dont-email.me> <PMCdnSCWQLiK5mL9nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdnua6$n7p$1@dont-email.me> <zPudnUgsAvKV42L9nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdo03c$uid$1@dont-email.me> <d619424f-35d7-4fc2-bc33-d4b0bdb57966n@googlegroups.com> <m-mdnbNOsMXYuJ38nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdpf12$ij8$1@dont-email.me> <d46dnQp1b-ua3p38nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdpnjb$1q3$1@dont-email.me> <NpmdnV9AwpJkV538nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdqjgu$mun$1@dont-email.me> <yvKdnaD9etCe-Jz8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdrt9e$upt$1@dont-email.me> <Z6qdna6B7Zq-FZz8nZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sds8a4$djb$1@dont-email.me> <uISdndIApsxJJZz8nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdsplo$9fe$1@dont-email.me> <O62dnbVMDplJuJ_8nZ2dnUU7-UGdnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdta1u$emq$1@dont-email.me> <ALqdnZRdO4Grsp_8nZ2dnUU7-anNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdtcmb$eii$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 12:39:20 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 17:39 UTC

On 7/29/2021 12:00 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-07-28 22:31, olcott wrote:

>>> No, it isn't a definition of halting. At best, it is something which
>>> you have proposed as a *test* for halting, but it is a broken test
>>> since, at least according to you, it sometimes gives an answer that
>>> does *not* correspond to the *actual* definition of halting.
>>>

>> It is computationally equivalent to not halting.
>
> By the definition of halting, P(P) halts.
>
> According to you, your definition leads to the conclusion that P(P)
> doesn't halt.
>
> They cannot be equivalent if they lead to different results (and I have
> no idea why you use the expression 'computationally equivalent').

We have two different equally correct definitions of halting that have a
contradictory result thus proving garbage in garbage out.
Self-contradictory inputs derive contradictory conclusions.

>>> Please show me a definition of UTM which makes reference to
>>> computational equivalence.
>>>

>> The simulation of the TM description of TM P on input I is stipulated
>> to be computationally equivalent to P(I). In an honest dialogue I
>> would not have to repeat this fifty times.
>
> I asked you to show me a *definition* of UTM which refers to
> computational equivalence. The above is not a definition.

Perhaps you are proving that you are unqualified to evaluate my work?
....anything which can be “computed”, can also be computed by that one
universal machine. Conversely, any problem that is not computable by the
universal machine is considered to be uncomputable.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/turing-machine/#TuriUnivMach

>>> A 'simulating halt decider' and UTM are different things.
>>>

>> Not while the simulating halt decider is in pure simulator mode.
>
> UTM(P, P) halts.
>
> You claim that your 'simulating halt decider in pure simulator mode'
> doesn't halt on input P, P.

Which is another way of saying:
Every input to a simulating halt decider that only stops running when
its simulation is aborted unequivocally specifies a computation that
never halts.

> Therefore they are not the same thing.
>
> And why does it matter what happens in a 'simulating halt decider in
> pure simulator mode'?
>
> The definition of halting is only concerned with what the computation
> P(P) does, not with what happens inside a 'simulating halt decider in
> pure simulator mode'.

None-the-less my definitions are computationally equivalent to the
standard ones on this basis: UTM(P,I) ≡ P(I)

That you deny this seems to indicate that you do not know the subject
matter well enough to be qualified to evaluate my work.

>>> It shows the logic of the *decider* to be inconsistent. It doesn't
>>> show anything inconsistent about the definition of halting, nor does
>>> it provide to treat a computation which halts as anything other than
>>> a computation which halts.
>>>

>> Within the hypothesis that this is correct:
>> Within the hypothesis that this is correct:
>> Within the hypothesis that this is correct:
>> Within the hypothesis that this is correct:
>>
>> Every input to a simulating halt decider that only stops running when
>> its simulation is aborted unequivocally specifies a computation that
>> never halts.
>>
>> Then the fact that the first P of int main(){ P(P); } reaches its
>> final state wold seem to prove that we are getting the same
>> contradiction as the liar paradox.
>
> Bad logic on your part leads to bad results on your part. Your
> 'hypothesis' as you interpret it is *not* correct.
>
>> This make perfect sense:
>> garbage in  (self contradictory input)
>> garbage out (contradictory result).
>
> No. It does not make perfect sense since P(P) very clearly meets the
> actual definition of halting.

And in this exact same way the fact that the following sentence is not
true: "this sentence is not true" should make it true, but it does not.

>>     The input is defined to contradict whatever the halt decider decides
>>     Now we construct a new Turing machine D with H as a subroutine.
>>     This new TM calls H to determine what M does when the input to
>>     M is its own description ⟨M⟩. Once D has determined this information,
>>     it does the opposite.  (Sipser:1997:165)
>
> Where does a 'self-contradictory expression of language' appear in the
> above? Nowhere that I can see.

When we encode the above in C and this function is executed with input:
P its behavior contradicts every halt status that H can return.

void P(u32 x)
{ if (H(x, x))
HERE: goto HERE;
}

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ paradox rather

By: olcott on Mon, 26 Jul 2021

29olcott