And Bruce is effectively building BruceIX -- Alan Cox

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( Are you game ? )

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( Are you game ? )

<poydnfDdUacVf5T8nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7203&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7203

Subject: Re:_Black_box_halt_decider_is_NOT_a_partial_decider_[
Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( Are you g
ame_?_)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<GtmdnfBrysPrAZn8nZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <874kcakv3d.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<-M-dnfsXl4WvWpj8nZ2dnUU7-IGdnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0pa1pp.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<6eOdnaoMUdZN_pr8nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87y29j6c5e.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<p8SdnV8dJu3wq5X8nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <875ywn5qfr.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<hJmdnSWv8-zPCJX8nZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<3df616af-1e70-413f-8534-fb4ca6204c28n@googlegroups.com>
<_ZudnRCgbJV5oJT8nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<f5026a04-cbe0-4809-82d9-27ecaf1fd1afn@googlegroups.com>
<3IadnZ2CTqZnw5T8nZ2dnUU7-VudnZ2d@giganews.com> <sebtb9$plb$1@dont-email.me>
<dPGdnfUV6vjsBZT8nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sec7nt$333$1@dont-email.me>
<Ea2dnYUpZJLzNpT8nZ2dnUU78LXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <secahd$l3q$1@dont-email.me>
<zqKdnXqSUdOSMpT8nZ2dnUU7-f_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <seccad$o4$1@dont-email.me>
<epqdnTTrebLeJ5T8nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <secgbs$qm9$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 19:42:48 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 00:42 UTC

On 8/3/2021 5:35 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-08-03 15:50, olcott wrote:

>>> I'm well aware of how UTMs work. I am also aware that an x86
>>> simulator is not the same thing as a UTM.
>>>

>> It is equivalent. In any case my exactly same reasoning directly
>> applies to the Linz proof.
>
> No, it isn't equivalent. A UTM takes a description of a *Turing Machine*
> as its input. A description of an x86 program is not a Turing Machine.
> How can two computations which take entirely distinct inputs be equivalent?

Apparently you don't understand computational equivalence either.

>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> if M applied to wM halts, and
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> if M applied to wM does not halt
>>
>> When Ĥ is applied to its own Turing Machine description ⟨Ĥ⟩ the
>> embedded halt decider at Ĥ.qx correctly decides that its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩

Specifies a computation that halts.

>> never halts.
>
> Inputs neither halt nor don't halt. Only computations halt. >
> And Ĥ.qx isn't an 'embedded halt decider'. It is a state.

Linz stipulates that it <is> Turing machine H.

>>> The problem is that your 'pure simulation mode' is a cheat.
>>>

>> That the execution trace of the simulation of P precisely corresponds
>> to its source-code proves beyond all possible doubt that the pure
>> simulation of P by H is correct. There is no way to wiggle out of this.
>
> No. It doesn't 'precisely correspond' to its source code because your
> trace *omits* a big chunk of code.

*What details of this paragraph do you feel are incorrect (and why)*

Because H only acts as a pure simulator of its input until after its
halt status decision has been made it has no behavior that can possibly
effect the behavior of its input. Because of this H screens out its own
address range in every execution trace that it examines. This is why we
never see any instructions of H in any execution trace after an input
calls H.

>>> Your H and P *need* to be independent, self-contained programs. They
>>> need to both be compiled and linked separately resulting in two
>>> different executables. This means that the copy of H contained in P
>>> will be *distinct* from program H. It will be at an entirely
>>> different address and any code inside H which tells it to ignore its
>>> 'own code' will not result in it ignoring the H contained in P.
>>>
>>> That also means that any change in the "mode" in which the main H
>>> runs *cannot* have any effect on what the H contained in P does.
>>>
>>> Your 'pure simulation mode' is only valid as a test if it applies
>>> *only* to the behaviour of H, and not to the behaviour of the H
>>> contained inside P.
>>>
>>> If you change what the H inside P does, you are then talking about an
>>> *entirely different* computation which has no bearing on the halting
>>> behaviour of P.
>>>
>>> You can't evaluate whether P halts by considering what some modified
>>> version of P does, which is in effect what you are doing.
>>>
>>> André
>>>

>> That the execution trace of the simulation of P precisely corresponds
>> to its source-code proves beyond all possible doubt that the pure
>> simulation of P by H is correct. There is no way to wiggle out of this.
>
> No. It doesn't 'precisely correspond' to its source code because your
> trace *omits* a big chunk of code.

*What details of this paragraph do you feel are incorrect (and why)*

Because H only acts as a pure simulator of its input until after its
halt status decision has been made it has no behavior that can possibly
effect the behavior of its input. Because of this H screens out its own
address range in every execution trace that it examines. This is why we
never see any instructions of H in any execution trace after an input
calls H.

> Come back and post a complete trace once you've actually set up your H
> and P *properly*. i.e. as two *separate* programs which have been
> compiled and linked two form two separate, *complete* executables where
> P does not call any code contained in H. If there is code in common, it
> must be *duplicated* so that each executable contains its own copy of
> this code.
>
> There is no point discussing your implementation where your H and P are
> contained in a single executable. That's not how 'TM equivalents' work,
> nor is it how the Linz Proof constructs H_Hat, and no conclusions which
> you draw from such a mangled implementation can possibly shed any light
> on the halting problem.

So when your reasoning fails to show that my H is incorrect you change
the subject. It is true that the input to H(P,P) never halts therefore
H(P,P)==0 is correct.

> If you don't grasp why what you are doing is illegitimate, then I
> suggest you go and actually learn what the term 'computation' means.

The standard formal definition of computation, repeated in all the major
textbooks, derives from these early ideas. Computation is defined as the
execution sequences of halting Turing machines (or their equivalents).
An execution sequence is the sequence of total configurations of the
machine, including states of memory and control unit.

https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/1880066.1880067

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ H(P,P)==0 is

By: olcott on Mon, 26 Jul 2021

40olcott