"Survey says..." -- Richard Dawson, weenie, on "Family Feud"

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correct criteria ][ André is lost? ]

Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correct criteria ][ André is lost? ]

<A6idndwQd6I71O38nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7477&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7477

Subject: Re:_Clarification_of_Linz_Ĥ_Description_[_correc
t_criteria_][_André_is_lost?_]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<J7adnSQaOvADPfT8nZ2dnUU7-QmdnZ2d@giganews.com> <877dee9drf.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<ifGdnSzsxr7raff8nZ2dnUU7-LFQAAAA@giganews.com> <87pms57x5l.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<E5-dnXwpi5NRifb8nZ2dnUU7-YXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <878rys8r9p.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<4uydnRon3vNK7vb8nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87wnmb7kwy.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<QOidnURMlueNyvH8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <8735ozcg6i.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<oImdnRTPm7M7EPD8nZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87lf2qaqiw.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<u5idnZrhDpNNTPP8nZ2dnUU78TOdnZ2d@giganews.com> <875ytt9cog.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<vNKdnSJxmdldYPP8nZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87ee8g8p8v.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<dI6dndhMstL3ve38nZ2dnUU7-VPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <skpbnm$1mc$1@dont-email.me>
<VaOdnc2x6Z93qe38nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <skpdd5$dgp$1@dont-email.me>
<A-OdnVCAKZVwp-38nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <skph5v$9l0$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 11:53:54 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 16:53 UTC

On 10/20/2021 11:46 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-10-20 09:51, olcott wrote:

>>> ??
>>>
>>> Ĥ always begins in state q0, so all paths ultimately begin there.
>>>

>> That is only the point in the execution trace of Ĥ that copies its input
>
> So what? It's still the starting point of the computation. Ĥ is a Turing
> Machine which takes a *single* input string. The fact that it
> subsequently duplicates that is an integral part of the computation
> performed by Ĥ on a given input.
>
>> so that its halt decider at Ĥq0 has its required input pair.
>
> There IS NO halt decider at Ĥq0. Nor anywhere else in Ĥ.

It "no" path is the H halt decider is at Ĥq0 of Ĥ.

>>> Since it always passes through state Ĥq0, you can talk about the path
>>> beginning at Ĥq0 if you want, but that has no bearing on the point
>>> being made, which is that final state qn is only reached in cases
>>> where M applied to Wm does not halt.
>>>
>>> André
>>>

>> As long as the simulating halt decider at Ĥq0 correctly decides that
>> its simulated input Wm applied to Wm never reaches the final state of
>> this simulated input (whether or not the simulating halt decider
>> aborts its simulation of this input) then this simulating halt decider
>> at Ĥq0 is correct when it transitions to qn.
>
> But that's not the criterion given by Linz. He specifies that qn is
> reached if M applied to Wm does not halt.

q0 Wm ⊢* Ĥq0 Wm Wm ⊢* Ĥ y1 qn y2 // The "no" path of TM Ĥ

He either means the M represented by the first Wm after Ĥq0 or he is
simply incorrect. As long as a halt decider correctly decides the halt
status of its input then this halt decider is necessary correct.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor