Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 14:35:28 -0600
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V21 [ precisely defined sets ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
References: <OqOdnSk-es33vwr8nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <0QFlJ.4132$aF1.1545@fx98.iad> <csednfY4fZugrQr8nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <nSMlJ.92781$AJ2.12422@fx33.iad> <W96dnV1_X_P4JQr8nZ2dnUU7-QPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8el5$a6k$1@dont-email.me> <MoGdna8BU9xUSQr8nZ2dnUU7-QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8l2e$sgf$1@dont-email.me> <6cydnTBU7YNYQgr8nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8ntm$j1d$1@dont-email.me> <pLudnSyOj6cnegr8nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8qhq$7jn$1@dont-email.me> <wd2dnW1XgcfhZwr8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8vv7$fqo$1@dont-email.me> <sn90hk$k4m$1@dont-email.me> <sn93ja$b5a$1@dont-email.me> <LbqdnVNler6IvwX8nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn9c8i$522$1@dont-email.me> <fsKdneznstvwowX8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sna68l$89c$1@dont-email.me> <KPmdnbIicsClqQT8nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <snbk9q$s3k$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 20:35 UTC

On 11/20/2021 2:03 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-11-20 10:45, olcott wrote:

>>> The fact that UTM(M, w) and M(w) have the same halting status has no
>>> bearing on the definition of a halt decider and provides no
>>> justification for the above.
>>>
>>> The input to UTM(M, w) doesn't have a halting status anymore than the
>>> input to H does. Only actual computations have a halting status. So
>>> you can ask about whether UTM(M, w) halts, or about whether the
>>> computation described by its input halts, but not about whether the
>>> input halts.
>>

>>> H(P, P) may or may not reach a final state. P(P) may or may not reach
>>> a final state. It is meaningless, though, to talk about the input to
>>> H(P, P) reaching a final state.
>>>
>>> André
>>>

>> Not when the [PSR set] if the basis for this claim:
>>
>> Computation that halts
>> a computation is said to halt whenever it enters a final state.
>> (Linz:1990:234)
>>
>> PSR set: Combinations of H/P having pathological self-reference
>> For every possible H of H(P,P) invoked from main() where P(P) calls
>> this same H(P,P) and H simulates or executes its input and aborts or
>> does not abort its input P never reaches its last instruction.
>>
>> PSR subset: Because we know that the input to H(P,P) never halts for
>> the whole PSR set and a subset of these H/P combinations aborts the
>> execution or simulation of its input then we know that for this entire
>> subset the input to H(P,P) never halts and H(P,P) halts.
>>
>> When int main(void) { P(P); } is invoked on H/P elements of the above
>> PSR subset, then we have a cases where the input to H(P,P) never halts
>> and P(P) halts.
>>
>> The above cases conclusively prove that when the input to H(P,P) never
>> halts and the same P(P) does halt that this does not form any
>> contradiction.
>
> Inputs neither halt nor don't halt. Your 'PSR set' included. Only
> Computions halt or don't halt.

Inputs specify a sequence of configurations that either reach a final
state or not.

> And, as I said, the definition of a Halt Decider is already defined.

Halt decider H maps elements of its domain specifying sequences of
configurations to {0,1}. Its decision basis is whether or not the
specified sequence of configurations ever reaches a final state.

> H(P, P), if it is a halt decider, must report whether P(P) called
> directly from main halts or not, so your meaningless claim that 'the

An actual mathematical function H can only map elements of its domain to
elements of its codomain.

In mathematics, a function from a set X to a set Y is an assignment of
an element of Y to each element of X. The set X is called the domain of
the function and the set Y is called the codomain of the function.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics)

Halt decider H can only map elements of its domain specifying sequences
of configurations to {0,1}.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V18

By: olcott on Fri, 19 Nov 2021

16olcott