From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: A bit more on SD and SSD...wear characteristics.
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 18:13:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 18:13 UTC

In comp.os.linux.misc The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 11/08/2023 13:24, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 11.08.23 um 11:54 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
[snip long research summary]

>>> And in fact using iostat on my running application shows no (physical)
>>> reads or writes *AT ALL*. As evinced by the rock steady light on the Pi
>>> Zero.
>>
>> What exactly is your question?
>>
> My question is "Why did you think that a post has to be a question?"

Well, you were responded to by Jörg -- it has a mental defect where it
can't help but be a prime asshole. That mental defect earned it a
permanant position in my killfile. I only saw it's response because of
your response.

> This is information for Pi people using SD cards. Condensing a mornings
> research into some general practical conclusions.

And condensing a few hundred scattered individual articles in the two
groups into a single place for future reference. It was a useful
summary post, even if Jörg had an issue.

> If you are not interested in it, just skip it.

Indeed, some can't seem to 'get' that simple bit of logic into their
thick heads.
From: Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Weird code crash
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 07:09:15 +0100

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 06:23:15 +0100
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> One possibility is that it is opening and reading a file at the precise
> time another process is writing it...in both cases the read and write
> operations are atomic and done with C code.
>
> READ
> ====
> fp=fopen(fullname, "r");

Anything opened with fopen is a buffered stream operations on it
are not atomic so yes it is very possible for the read to see a partially
written file. To avoid the race you need to use some kind of locking.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Limiting the capacity of SD cards for the pi
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:41:13 +0100

On 20/09/2023 13:46, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <ueenp9$2u313$1@dont-email.me>,
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 20/09/2023 13:09, Bob Latham wrote:
>>> cd/media/usb-drive/
>
>> Thats your problem Lady.
>
>> cd /
>> THEN
>> umount
>
>> You cant unmount a drive you are sitting in
>
> Are you saying that's why it doesn't seem to have done anything even
> though I eventually typed
> # cd
> before umount. It then appeared to dismount to me?

That's right. If you are sitting on the mounted mount point, it cant get
off!
It will say 'busy'

> Or are you just confirming my brain wobble was correct?

Not sure which wobble that was...

> Bob.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

.
From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: pi5!
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:15:41 +0100

On 13/10/2023 09:18, nev young wrote:
> On 12/10/2023 11:21, Louis Northmore wrote:
>> If you're a Pi lover you're going ot love the pi5! It's 2-3 times
>> faster than a
>> pi4 which is super nice.
>> Looking forward to upgrading my pi nodes in my cluster and checking
>> out the
>> performance.
>>
>> https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/
>>

> A nice evolution of the Pi.
>
> I would rather see a Pi that will run for 7 days from 4xAA.

I am building one that I hope will run for a year from 3xAA

> I accept most folk want faster and faster still, but I would like
> battery powered and long time running for my wild-life cameras.

Cameras eat watts. Invest in serious LIPO packs or lead acid batteries

--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
“We did this ourselves.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

.
Subject: Re: Raspberry PI OS Bookworm. Does it support multiple
desktops/workspaces?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
From: "56d.1152" <56d.1152@ztq9.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 23:59:52 -0400

On 10/28/23 6:44 AM, Another Dave wrote:
> On 28/10/2023 10:14 am, Theo wrote:
>> Another Dave <dmarsden@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> I need this feature despite being told, high-handedly, by the Raspberry
>>> Pi lot that I don't and that they don't support it. Most search results
>>> are out of date as usual.
>>>
>>> Manjaro (KDE) does it but it doesn't work in other ways. Cinnamon does
>>> it but seems a bit OTT.
>>
>> Raspberry Pi OS is an OS distribution.
>> That distribution provides a desktop environment (DE).
>> By default RPiOS uses a DE called PIXEL based on customised LXDE.
>>
>> If the default DE doesn't provide what you want, install another one.
>> If KDE is the thing you want, install that.  Or find another DE.
>> Don't throw out the OS just because you want to change the window
>> dressing.
>>
>> https://raspberrytips.com/upgrade-raspbian-lite-to-desktop/
>> which starts with RPiOS Lite, but you can also do it from full RPiOS by
>> skipping to step 4.
>>
>> It is also possible to skip using a DE and do it 'by hand' by installing
>> a window manager directly (like i3 or FVWM), which gets you basic window
>> manipulation without also giving you a dock, system tray, file manager,
>> etc.  I know FVWM supports multiple workspaces.
>>
>> Theo
> Yes yes, I know all that. I just wanted to use a desk top optimised for
> the pi. ALL desktops have the ability to use multiple workspaces except
> Pixel. It was removed from Pixel specifically because somebody at
> Raspberry Pi couldn't be bothered to fix a bug in it.

I've installed Raspian/Bookworm on FOUR boards in the
past couple weeks. Yep, it does all the usual. ONE
very annoying aspect with Bookworm though is the
pointless demise of dhcpcd.conf and WPA_Supplicant.conf
in favor of "network manager'. If you use the 'lite'
version, no GUI, this becomes a PROBLEM if you want
to do static IPs. For the GUI versions just install
the Gnome network manager GUI thingie and use that
to set everything.

DID discover network manager stores
the configs in /etc/NetworkManager/session-something
in readable/tweakable files. For a 'lite' OS though
you should use nmcli to 'add' an interface (pain
enough) and then use nano to fine-tweak the config
file. Fortunately I had some made WITH the GUI as
patterns for the non-GUI units.

Remember /etc/networking ? THAT worked JUST FINE and
you could tweak to your heart's content. NO REASON for
Deb to deviate and make it all infinitely more difficult.
Who sells something far closer to Old Deb ??? I'll
check MX, maybe Devuian, but it has to run on a Pi.
(mx will, but unsure about the networking without a GUI)

DID run into one very WEIRD issue with Bookworm -
can't get /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
to work properly on a Pi4. Works fine on a Pi3 though.
Tried one made ON a Pi3, moved to a Pi4, and another
completely installed on a Pi4. Alas I have something
that badly NEEDS the local autoexec so it'll have
a real 'screen' to put graphic output on (a python pgm).

Even putting the attempted startup into .profile or
.bashrc ain't doing it. Tried a bash script that starts
the py script - again no-go. I'll try adding a sleep
in there somewhere tomorrow ....... as said, just a
very very WEIRD diff between Pi models. Worst case, I'll
try last-years Raspbian.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o A bit more on SD and SSD...wear characteristics.

By: The Natural Philosop on Fri, 11 Aug 2023

42The Natural Philosopher