From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: A bit more on SD and SSD...wear characteristics.
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 20:10:31 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:10 UTC

On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 20:11:43 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> On 2023-08-11 17:48, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 11.08.23 um 17:21 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:

You all forgot how to trim postings? :-/

>>> My question is "Why did you think that a post has to be a question?"
>> Because the posting otherwise is unsoliceted spam?
>
> Not correct.
>
> As we are in a Linux group, you might remember that Linus posted his
> first kernel here (on comp.os.minix) and it was not a question.

Part was.

| [...] PS. Could someone please try to finger me from overseas, as I've
| installed a "changing .plan" (made by your's truly), and I'm not certain
| it works from outside? It should report a new .plan every time.

<https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html>

But I agree, announcements may be okay, if they are on topic.

F'up2 colm.
--
Andreas
From: Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Weird code crash
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:52:37 +0100

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 07:57:45 +0100
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Howver I think that for small operations one would have to posit a time
> between fopen() and fread() in which the file 'disappears' in some
> sense. Burt I 8thought* that a file handle once issued would not point
> to empty data, and that in fact fopen('w") would in fact create a new
> file and the old would not get unlinked until it was 'fclosed'

Nope - from man fopen

“w” Open for writing. The stream is positioned at the beginning of
the file. Truncate the file to zero length if it exists or
create the file if it does not exist.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
From: Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Limiting the capacity of SD cards for the pi
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:36:38 +0100

In article <ueespp$2v1m1$1@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> That's right. If you are sitting on the mounted mount point, it
> cant get off! It will say 'busy'

Right but that's not the reason the whole thing did nothing *after* I
corrected that ????

Bob.

.
From: Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: PCBs available
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:51:18 +0100

Theo wrote:

> It's a bit annoying... with no DC in the box and not wanting to risk
> exporting mains to the Pi, or making another box with a relay, the
> obvious option is an optocoupler, but you can't really ensure good
> isolation unless you put it in a good enclosure, which is tricky here
> because I'm shoving it in an existing mains box dangling on flying
> leads. Aha, I thought, you can get optotriacs to switch AC, so what
> about if I just get a phototriac and shine a light at it to trigger the
> triac instead of having the LED in the optotriac. Trouble is,
> phototriacs don't exist as a discrete component.

Can't you "snap" one of these in half?

<https://cpc.farnell.com/omron-electronic-components/ee-sx4070/opto-switch-slotted/dp/SC12350?>
Subject: Re: Raspberry PI OS Bookworm. Does it support multiple
desktops/workspaces?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
From: "56d.1152" <56d.1152@ztq9.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 01:17:17 -0400

On 11/4/23 3:02 PM, Michael Schwingen wrote:
> On 2023-11-04, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
>> I didn't know there was a problem until I read this but you're right
>> there is. I have managed a static IP on an ethernet connection by
>> creating a file
>> /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 which contains:
>
> That should[1] still work (maybe after installing the ifupdown package).
> Install "resolvconf" if you want to specify DNS in /etc/network/interfaces,
> too.

And how much other stuff ???

/etc/networking worked JUST FINE and is hugely documented

There was NO reason to change.

So, basically, you now have to BREAK Deb to get it to work
like it used to. Cannonical led the way toward STUPID changes
and now Deb seems to have even exceeded THEM.

I'm gonna look into Arch ......

>> Has anyone discovered how to make a Wi-Fi dongle work with bookworm
>> lite? If so, could you enlighten me please.
>
> Have a look at
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
>
> under "manual", "Using ifupdown and wpasupplicant" - you can specify
> everything you usually need in /etc/network/interfaces, no need to manually
> create separate config files.

Um ... TRY that. Neither /etc/network or WPA_supplicant
or dhcpcd.conf are used any more by any sort of default/
fallback.

For a GUI-less Bookworm you have to fool with the very
horrible 'nmcli' and then manually EDIT the net def
templates it creates way down in /etc/NetworkManager/
system-<something>

Bookworm is just HORRIBLE in this respect on a Pi.

Gonna check into Arch - seriously check into it. IF IT
WORKS *DON'T BREAK IT*

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o A bit more on SD and SSD...wear characteristics.

By: The Natural Philosop on Fri, 11 Aug 2023

42The Natural Philosopher