Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:41:54 -0600
Subject: Re: Reasoning from first principles
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<W_udnZVYeN8Ny4n_nZ2dnUU7-QOdnZ2d@giganews.com> <sv1lod$t7c$1@dont-email.me>
<sv1n66$pr1$1@dont-email.me> <sv1ode$1uqm$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<sv1p4f$u7q$1@dont-email.me> <sv1pc2$2vc$1@dont-email.me>
<VWZQJ.24028$jxu4.7636@fx02.iad> <sv1qr4$u1e$1@dont-email.me>
<sv2lpc$8dp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sv41id$ael$1@dont-email.me>
<tzgRJ.79673$H_t7.21565@fx40.iad>
<3vSdnWSs66fpBYj_nZ2dnUU7-K_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<IbhRJ.72914$iK66.53430@fx46.iad>
<VKCdnYBlY7RQN4j_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sv4f9r$v12$1@dont-email.me>
<sv4g28$amh$1@dont-email.me> <sv4hmk$brl$1@dont-email.me>
<fpydnRPt542s0ov_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<j1ARJ.39833$z688.4854@fx35.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 00:41 UTC

On 2/23/2022 6:09 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 2/23/22 10:13 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> You don't know what Wittgenstein 'complete view' actually was. No one
>>> other than Wittgenstein knows this.
>>>

>> Because I formed this same view myself independently of Wittgenstein I
>> can say that his quoted words in my paper form a 100% complete
>> rebuttal that Gödel found a sentence that is both true and unprovable.
>> It is simply unprovable because it is untrue.
>>
>>> What you are really saying is that you formed some view and then
>>> interpreted one of Wittgenstein's remarks in terms of that view.

>>> Which has nothing whatsoever to do with Gödel, since his theorem was
>>> not concerned with truth and made no mention of truth at all.
>>>
>>> André
>>
>> It has everything to do with all undecidable propositions.
>>
>> Undecidable propositions are simply not truth bearers in the same way
>> that the following sentence is neither true nor false: "What time is it?"
>
> Excpet that they are. The Computation H^ applied to <H^> will ALWAYS
> either Halt or Not Halt, and the exact value is determinable for any
> given H if it answers the question H <H^> <H^>.
>
> Thus it IS a Truth Bearer.

I had always thought that it behaved like the liar paradox because it
was essentially modeled after the liar paradox. It was only in recent
years that I realized that unlike mathematical propositions that just
sit there, computations have intelligence that can overcome pathological
self-reference.

So in this case you are half right. The halting problem counter-examples
are truth bearers, yet only because they are decidable.

> The WRONG qustion that isn't a Truth Bearer is what answer can H return,
> but that ISN'T the Question of the Halting Problem.
>

>> All expressions of formal or natural language that apply only truth
>> preserving operations beginning with a set of premises known to be
>> true (such as Haskell Curry's elementary theorems) are sound, else
>> unsound.
>
> Which doesn't imply that all Truth is Provable. Is just says that
> everything that is provable is True.

synthetic/empirical truth of the world can be true even when there is no
proof.

Of the analytic side of the analytic / synthetic distinction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic%E2%80%93synthetic_distinction

expressions of language that are not provable are untrue because the
only way that we know they are true is the connected set of semantic
meanings that prove they are true.

>> All expressions of formal or natural language that apply only truth
>> preserving operations beginning with a set of premises are valid, else
>> invalid.
>>
>> valid reasoning requires conclusions to be a necessary consequence of
>> the premises.
>>

> So. That still doesn't prove your point. It also points out the ERROR in
> your whole arguement, because you always start out with an incorrect
> claim, like H applied to <H^> <H^> isn't responsible for the behavior of
> H^ applied to <H^> when that is EXACT what the definition of a Halt
> Decider says it is responsible for.
>
> FAIL.

Every halt decider is a decider. Every decider only maps its inputs to
an accept or reject states. Every decider does not give a rat's ass
about non-inputs. embedded_H does not give a rat's ass about Ĥ applied
to ⟨Ĥ⟩.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Reasoning from first principles

By: olcott on Tue, 22 Feb 2022