From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
Subject: Re: Reasoning from first principles [key error]
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 15:29:20 -0600
<DaOdnWYLTOAKrIX_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com> <sv9evu$jfa$2@gioia.aioe.org>
<RrCdnQlW1Myv3IX_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<mqXRJ.75110$3jp8.59464@fx33.iad>
<AtGdna5iNtjy1IX_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<GhYRJ.114495$SeK9.4080@fx97.iad>
<nZadnZLRu5fJzoX_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<eNYRJ.132960$Tr18.56281@fx42.iad>
<tNOdndvubJnew4X_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<4X3SJ.92961$i65a.79898@fx16.iad> <svasf4$l0k$1@dont-email.me>
<fQ6SJ.10377$WZCa.605@fx08.iad>
<qumdnQ4Wv_9ZYoX_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <svb2vr$btb$1@dont-email.me>
<svb3rb$i7s$1@dont-email.me> <svb8vn$ot9$1@dont-email.me>
<RPGdnXg6lIdntIT_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <svbh5k$oms$1@dont-email.me>
<ibednYYZVueLxYT_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <svcfvd$fgv$1@dont-email.me>
<A5idnQF0fuzA34f_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <svdunu$r8l$1@dont-email.me>
<l-KdnTSBRrRPEof_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sve4gq$1ui$1@dont-email.me>
 by: olcott - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 21:29 UTC

On 2/26/2022 3:02 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> [...]
>>>    Ĥ3 copies its input ⟨Ĥ4⟩ to ⟨Ĥ5⟩ then embedded_H3 simulates ⟨Ĥ4⟩
>>> ⟨Ĥ5⟩...
>>>
>>> If embedded_H0 aborts its input and then transitions to ⟨Ĥ⟩.qn, then
>>> embedded_H1 would similarly abort its input and transition to ⟨Ĥ1⟩.qn
>>> had embedded_H0 not aborted it.
>>>

>> That is like saying that dead men can easily walk across the street as
>> long as they are not dead, AKA double-talk.
>>
>>> Either *every* instance of embedded_H can abort its input in which
>>> case every instance of embedded_H reaches a final state (or would
>>> reach a
>>
>> Incorrect quantification. At most one instance of embedded_H can abort
>> the simulation of its input and this input never reaches its final
>> state whether or not it is ever aborted.
>>
>>> final state had it not been aborted by some higher instance of
>>> embedded_H) or *no* instance of embedded_H can abort its input.
>>>

>> THIS IS VERIFIED AS TRUE ENTIRELY ON THE BASIS OF THE MEANING OF ITS
>> WORDS:
>> When-so-ever any simulating halt decider detects that a correct and
>> complete pure simulation of its input would never reach the final
>> state of this simulated input it is correct to abort the simulation of
>> the input and transition to its own final reject state.
>>
>>> You only actually get infinitely recursive simulation in the latter
>>> case. In the former case the chain is aborted and therefore not
>>> infinite. but in the latter case your H applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is also
>>> infinitely recursive and thus fails to qualify as a decider.
>>>
>>> But even if your argument didn't suffer from this problem, you'd
>>> still be left with the issue which you are refusing to address: You
>>> claim that a pattern of infinitely recursive simulation can be
>>> recognized by a Turing Machine, when in fact it cannot be.
>>>

>> There is a mandatory hierarchy to reverse engineering the correct
>> solution to difficult problems using categorically exhaustive
>> reasoning (a specific instance of reasoning from first principles):
>>
>> (1) Is a correct solution possible?
>> (2) What are the steps to this correct solution?
>> You are trying to skip step (1).
>>
>> I have proven that a solution is possible in that I have proven that
>> the simulated input to embedded_H cannot possibly reach its final
>> state of ⟨Ĥ⟩.qn in any finite number of steps of pure simulation. We
>> cannot move on to (2) until after we have mutual agreement on (1).
>>
>>> The fact that a human can recognize such an infinite pattern from
>>> *outside* the system with the added knowledge that the input to the Ĥ
>>> is in fact a description of Ĥ in no way demonstrates that it would be
>>> possibly for Ĥ to do this when Ĥ has no knowledge of whether its
>>> input string is a representation of itself or not.
>>>
>>> So even if this pattern existed, how exactly is your embedded_H
>>> supposed to recognize it?
>>>
>>> I addressed your question, so please address mine.
>
> You seem to have missed the last bit.
>
> I'm not going to address any of your points until you make at least some

Your question has my question as a mandatory prerequisite.
Before the detailed steps of a solution are reverse-engineered (your
question) we must first address the broader category is a solution
possible? (my question).

I have proved that a solution is possible and you keep ignoring this
proof. If you are going to reject my basis out-of-hand without review
then it makes no sense to extend this basis to the reasoning that
follows from it.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Reasoning from first principles

By: olcott on Tue, 22 Feb 2022

63olcott