Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 09:06:48 -0600
Subject: Re: Simulating halt deciders correct decider halting [ Ben's
perpetual mistake ][ more clarity ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<BZGdnV1jEfo_SL7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87zgm37zkg.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<YOmdnaL5V7Arlbj_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <874k4a8veo.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<VLqdna7zb4EDyrj_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87v8wq7a45.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<C-Odndrdc82I5Lj_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87pmmy6mx4.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<VtmdnVw094GkvLv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87y21l66x7.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<CKKdndlP8sOPz7v_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87mti160ab.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<7pWdnX1i993jwbv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bkyh5s3t.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<7--dnVwf4b-9Dbv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tuc941c8.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<lrGdnWIzlZcJULv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bkyg3p22.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<rpGdnc6CJc_Yi7X_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <875yon4wsh.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<t099v5$sif$1@dont-email.me> <t09e4l$j50$1@dont-email.me>
<N_ednUYcpMMrOLX_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t0bp1q$f2l$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 15:06 UTC

On 3/9/2022 8:50 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2022-03-09 06:03, olcott wrote:

>>> The above doesn't jive with the nonsense you keep asserting
>>> elsewhere. You keep claiming that TMs can only deal with the finite
>>> strings which are their inputs.
>>>

>>  From the above:
>> ⟨Ĥ⟩ is the common convention for a finite string Turing machine
>> description.
>>
>> Ĥ is the convention for Turing machine Ĥ.
>>
>> ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is the convention for the input to the copy of Linz H at Ĥ.qx.
>>
>> embedded_H is the convention for referring to the copy of Linz H
>> embedded at Ĥ.qx.
>
> I'm not sure why you're responding with all the above. I've read Linz
> and I've read your previous posts so I already know how you are using
> these terms.
>
>>> But the pure simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ by embedded_H is neither a finite
>>> string nor an input to embedded_H. So why do you think that non-input
>>> non-finite string should be a valid basis for a decision criterion
>>> whereas Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ should not be?
>>>

>> It it always that case that every decider computes the mapping from
>> its finite string input to accept or reject state.
>>
>> In the case of a simulating halt decider this mapping is computed on
>> the basis of simulating the finite string and examining the simulated
>> behavior for any infinite behavior patterns.
>
> But the point is that in your criteria above you keep talking about the
> "pure simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ by embedded_H"
>
> Your embedded_H is *not* a pure simulator; it is a modified copy of what
> you claim to be a simulating halt decider but with its accepting state
> replaced by an infinite loop.
>
> So you are asking it to base its decision on the behaviour of some
> hypothetical "pure simulator" which is *not* a string nor the input to
> embedded_H.

embedded_H contains all of the functionality of a UTM as well as
additional halt deciding functionality. The halt deciding functionality
bases its halt status decision on matching infinite behavior patterns,
or failing to match any of these patterns.

> Why is that allowed but it is not allowed to base a decision
> on the behaviour of Ĥ (which while not a string nor an actual input is
> at least a TM which embedded_H has a complete description of) applied to
> ⟨Ĥ⟩?

All deciders map finite string inputs to an accept or reject state.
⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ are finite string inputs to embedded_H. Ĥ is neither a finite
string nor an input to to embedded_H.

>>> It's not just Ben and Linz, but every single author who has ever
>>> written about this particular proof. That's because it *isn't* a
>>> mistake.
>>>

>> As it turns out to actually be even an actual universal consensus does
>> not guarantee truth. Prior to Pythagoras there was a universal
>> consensus that the Earth was flat.
>
> <pedantry> Your facts here are incorrect. There is no evidence to
> suggest that there was a universal consensus that the earth was flat
> prior to Pythagoras. </pedantry>
>
>>> Don't you think that it's a bit telling that everyone in the universe
>>> who actually *understands* how Turing Machine agrees with Linz,
>>> whereas you, who have consistently demonstrated that you've never
>>> once actually designed or worked with actual Turing Machines, are the
>>> only one who thinks otherwise?
>>>

>> Especially not when every rebuttal to my work was like yours and
>> entirely anchored in a misunderstanding of what I am even saying.
>>
>>> Maybe you start by learning the basics and leave talking about Turing
>>> Machines to people who have actually dealt with Turing Machines.
>>>
>>> André
>>>

>> I am actually starting with the establishing the fundamental
>> philosophical underpinnings of the notion of truth itself.
>
> But the issue here has nothing to do with "truth" but with how Turing
> Machines work.
>
> If you were to actually look at some examples of real Turing Machines
> maybe you would come to understand this. When we try to construct a TM
> to compute some function one of the first steps involved is to figure
> out how to encode elements of the domain of that function as strings
> which can actually be passed to a TM. But the TM is still expected to
> process those strings in a way which actually conforms to the function
> being computed.
>
> Consider a TM which decides whether a given integer x is even or not.
> There is no way in which we can pass an actual integer to a TM, since an
> integer is not a string. But we can easily come up with a way of
> encoding the integer x as a string ⟨x⟩ which *can* be passed to an integer.
>
> Whether the above TM accepts or rejects ⟨x⟩ *must* depend on whether x
> is even or odd. Otherwise it isn't computing the function it purports to
> compute. And if you claim it is only responsible for determining the
> mapping from the string ⟨x⟩ which is its input rather than the actual
> integer x, which is not its input, then any reasonable person is going
> to respond with a look of utter confusion. What does it even *mean* to
> talk about the evenness of ⟨x⟩ if it is not related to the evenness of
> the actual integer x? Strings aren't 'even' anymore than they are
> 'halting'.

embedded_H is only responsible for computing the mapping from its inputs
⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to an accept or reject state based on the behavior that ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
specifies. A pure simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ by embedded_H is the ultimate
measure of the behavior that ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ specifies.

>> The majority of philosophers agree that this cannot be done because
>> Willard Van Orman Quine has convinced them that they cannot really
>> know that all bachelors are unmarried.
>
> Yes, you've already demonstrated that you are unable to appreciate the
> nuance of Quine's article and have instead settled on this ridiculous
> interpretation. Nobody cares.
>
> André

Rudolf Carnap wrote a meaning postulate in his debate with Quine that
specifies ∀x (bachelor(x) → ¬married(x)) and Quine still did not get it.
To the best of my knowledge this was the first step towards the Richard
Montague grammar of natural language semantics.
https://liarparadox.org/Meaning_Postulates_Rudolf_Carnap_1952.pdf

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Simulating halt deciders correct decider halting

By: olcott on Mon, 28 Feb 2022

88olcott