Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:13:24 -0600
Subject: Re: Simulating halt deciders correct decider halting [ Ben's
perpetual mistake ][ more clarity ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<C-Odndrdc82I5Lj_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87pmmy6mx4.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<VtmdnVw094GkvLv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87y21l66x7.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<CKKdndlP8sOPz7v_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87mti160ab.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<7pWdnX1i993jwbv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bkyh5s3t.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<7--dnVwf4b-9Dbv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tuc941c8.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<lrGdnWIzlZcJULv_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bkyg3p22.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<rpGdnc6CJc_Yi7X_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <875yon4wsh.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<t099v5$sif$1@dont-email.me> <87mthx2qi3.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<-OWdnRXF29D67rb_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871qz73n0i.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<NMOdnQddB-ilkLD_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <t0j3ip$3rg$1@dont-email.me>
<R8CdnTRBnut9trD_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t0jc0j$3in$1@dont-email.me>
<DfOdnckFsoViqrD_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <t0jfsk$s26$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 02:13 UTC

On 3/12/2022 7:03 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2022-03-12 17:17, olcott wrote:

>>> The Turing Machine specified by the finite string *is* a Turing
>>> Machine, so yes it is answering the question about a Turing Machine.
>
> Can I take your silence here as an acknowledgment that what you had
> written was an error (and a very silly one at that)?

>>> That's exactly what the copy of H embedded at Ĥ.qx is supposed to
>>> report on by the very definition of the problem.
>
> No Comment?
>
>>> A halt decider must, *by definition*, be able to determine the
>>> halting status of *any* arbitrary computation, so if you want to
>>> claim that ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ encodes a computation different from Ĥ applied to
>>> ⟨Ĥ⟩, then you'd better be able to show how that latter computation is
>>> to be encoded as a finite string.
>>>
>>> So what string, according to you, encodes the computation Ĥ applied
>>> to ⟨Ĥ⟩? If these two "different" computations don't have separate
>>> encodings as strings then they are not, in fact, different
>>> computations at all.
>
> No Comment?
>
> I know you've been asked this question before and have consistently
> ignored it. According to a recent post of yours that constitutes
> justification for a repetitive all-caps temper tantrum!

>>> No, it is supposed to report on the halting status of the computation
>>> represented by its input. But nothing in the definition of 'halt
>>> decider' precludes it from being given a description of a computation
>>> which contains its actual self. If it can't answer about that
>>> question, then it isn't meeting the definition of a halt decider
>>> which must be able to answer about *any* computation. And in the Linz
>>> proof this is precisely what the input specifies, your nonsense about
>>> the input being a string rather than an actual Turing Machine
>>> notwithstanding.
>
> Again, is your silence a recognition that you know see your error?

>>> Finite string pairs don't *have* final states.
>>
>> Simulated finite string pairs ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ have final states that can
>> either be reached in a finite number of simulated steps or not.

I am ignoring all of your other points because this single point is the
crux of the whole issue and all the other points are tangential.

> The *simulation* has states which may include final states. The string
> itself does not.

A BASIC program that is executed in an interpreter is correctly
construed as reaching its final state.

10 PRINT "Hello, World!"
20 END

⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is executed within the simulator of the copy of H embedded
within Ĥ. This embedded_H has all of the functionality of a UTM along
with additional functionality.

> But SIMULATOR applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ and Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩
> are distinct computations which thus must be encodable by distinct
> finite strings.
>
> So are you now attempting to claim that the finite string ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is
> supposed to encode the computation SIMULATOR applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩?
>
> If so, how do we encode Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ which is the computation that
> is actually of interest to us?
>
> André

It is impossible for any decider to correctly report on the behavior of
the computation that contains itself.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Simulating halt deciders correct decider halting

By: olcott on Mon, 28 Feb 2022

88olcott