Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:02:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof V5 [ mutual
agreement ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 03:02 UTC

On 3/23/2022 9:31 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> H and Ĥ are never identical. You know what the hat means don't you? So
>>> your magic PO-machines have machine addresses, do they? If so, that's
>>> another difference with Turing machines. You won't be able to say
>>> anything about Linz's proof unless you start to talk about Turing
>>> machines.

>>> You've lost the plot mate. Nether is even a string. If you made a
>>> prior claim about H or Ĥ being strings (whether identical or not), that
>>> was wrong too.
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, when you write H and Ĥ we must assume that these
>>> refer to some kind of as yet unspecified machine that has "machine
>>> addresses" (so definitely not what Linz is taking about). And that
>>> these H and Ĥ have the property that H applied to some string can
>>> transition to a different state to an exact copy of H if it's embedded
>>> in some other machine. I suppose they don't actually have to be
>>> literally magic to do this, but they are certainly not Turing machines.
>>> Do you have anything to say about Linz's proof?
>>
>> All halt deciders must map their input to an accept or reject state
>> based on the actual behavior actually specified by this input as
>> measured by a finite number of N steps of the correct UTM simulation
>> of this input.
>
> No. You'll find what a halt decider must do in any good text book.
>
> It appears that after 17 years of work in this you are:
>
> (a) trying to redefine what that halting problem is;

Someone that understands these things deeper than learned by rote would
agree with me.

(a) You agreed that every decider computes the mapping from its inputs
to its own accept or reject state

(b) You agreed that a halt decider must form its halt status decision on
the actual behavior that is actually specified by its input.

(c) You disagreed that a correct measure of the actual behavior that is
actually specified by its input is a correct UTM simulation of N steps
of this input.

This would seem to indicate that you do not believe the direct execution
of a Turing machine is computationally equivalent to the UTM simulation
of the the machine description of this same machine.

We must have the constraint of a finite N number of steps of simulation
to require that the halt decider itself halts.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof V5 [ without an

By: olcott on Tue, 22 Mar 2022

31olcott