Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:57:06 -0500
Subject: Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof V5 [ correct
criteria ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<877d8mlli0.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Cv6dnf-LGsYA1KT_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87wngmjbw7.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <tOqdnXu-xuDNfKT_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87bkxxjq50.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <qeydnSNLM57xBqf_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<XmD_J.161395$4JN7.131178@fx05.iad>
<xsudnfT7pbiRgab_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<ZHN_J.207360$Y1A7.26196@fx43.iad>
<mbadnWPfYbarNqb_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<k0O_J.200092$r6p7.595@fx41.iad>
<i5idnalkHYDRL6b_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<NKO_J.440293$Rza5.166859@fx47.iad>
<AOedncbY-vP7VKb_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<EZP_J.169268$4JN7.90286@fx05.iad>
<T6ydnWVxPKmFTKb_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<IJQ_J.231619$Tr18.102780@fx42.iad>
<c9udnd31urBxQqb_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<omY_J.235119$Tr18.144429@fx42.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:57 UTC

On 3/24/2022 6:12 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> You logic is backwards. You are just showing why it CAN'T be done,
>>> not why it must not be defined that way.
>>>
>>> The behavior that is measured MUST be exactly the behavior of the UTM
>>> simulation,
>>
>> In other words your requirement for a halt decider is that it
>> sometimes never halts.
>>

> Again, you are mixing REQUIREMENTS and CAPABILITIES.
>
> All deciders MUST Halt in finite time.

And all deciders that simulate their infinitely repeating input are not
allowed to ever stop.

If they recognize an infinitely repeating pattern in N steps of
simulation they are not allowed to report this otherwise the simulation
is not accurate.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof V5 [ without an

By: olcott on Tue, 22 Mar 2022

31olcott