From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
Subject: Re: On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 17:08:27 -0500
<20220502233810.000023d2@reddwarf.jmc> <GaZbK.18094$h6X.16714@fx04.iad>
<20220502234711.00000216@reddwarf.jmc> <t4ptcr$287$2@dont-email.me>
<WZ_bK.184232$Kdf.164815@fx96.iad>
<fbaa4fbd-0651-4850-a25c-280e972ae3bcn@googlegroups.com>
<t4rebl$mfk$1@dont-email.me>
<74a21810-e627-4d2c-954f-4865d7fbd7d1n@googlegroups.com>
<t4rh62$tkh$1@dont-email.me>
<2b1a1b07-317e-4219-8d86-3afca6116fe8n@googlegroups.com>
<t4rlsi$c60$1@dont-email.me>
<da02d012-e4a5-4371-ae1d-62f94e907498n@googlegroups.com>
 by: olcott - Tue, 3 May 2022 22:08 UTC

On 5/3/2022 4:49 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 12:39:49 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:

>>> In other words you don't want to admit that this proves you are wrong.
>>>
>> No I can't understand what you mean.
>> I think that I see it now, I had forgotten the notation.
>>
>> An input having a pathological self-reference relationship to its
>> decider H would necessarily derive a different halt status than an input
>> not having a pathological self-reference relationship to its decider Hb.
>>
>> The P having a pathological self-reference relationship to H is not the
>> same as the Px NOT having a pathological self-reference relationship to
>> Hb. Because P.H calls itself and Px.Hb does not call itself P is not the
>> same input as Px.
>
> The P we're talking about is a *specific* P, namely Pa which is built from Ha, and Ha is a *specific* H. So Pa and Px are the *same*.

Not at all because H(P,P) has itself as part of its input and Hb(P,P)
does not have itself as part of its input.

> So just because Pa contains an embedded copy of Ha but not an embedded copy of Hb doesn't means that it's not the same.

Sure it does. The correctly simulated input to H(P,P) specifies
infinitely nested simulation where as correctly simulated input to
Hb(P,P) DOES NOT specify infinitely nested simulation.

How much longer are you going to continue the verified facts?
This does make you look quite foolish or dishonest.

> Ha(Pa,Pa) and Hb(Pa,Pa) have the *exact* same input.

The correctly simulated input to Ha(Pa,Pa) specifies infinitely nested
simulation where as correctly simulated input to Hb(Pa,Pa) DOES NOT
specify infinitely nested simulation.

How much longer are you going to continue the verified facts?
This does make you look quite foolish or dishonest.

> Just because it appears from a glance that Ha is starting its simulation of Pa "in the middle" doesn't mean that's what's actually happening. That's just how the incorrect simulation is manifesting itself. It's kind of like undefined behavior in a C program.

You only have to do a correct execution trace of Ha(Pa,Pa) and Hb(Pa,Pa)
to see that:

The correctly simulated input to Ha(Pa,Pa) specifies infinitely nested
simulation where as correctly simulated input to Hb(Pa,Pa) DOES NOT
specify infinitely nested simulation.

How much longer are you going to continue the verified facts?
This does make you look quite foolish or dishonest.

>>> Which is another way of saying that H can't give a correct answer for (P,P).
>>>
>> Different computations must give different answers.
>> That you don't fully understand all of the nuances of how this applies
>> to H/P and Hb/Px is OK, it is difficult to understand.
>
> Just because Pa contains an embedded copy of Ha but not an embedded copy of Hb doesn't means that it's not the same.

You only have to do a correct execution trace of Ha(Pa,Pa) and Hb(Pa,Pa)
to see that:

The correctly simulated input to Ha(Pa,Pa) specifies infinitely nested
simulation where as correctly simulated input to Hb(Pa,Pa) DOES NOT
specify infinitely nested simulation.

How much longer are you going to continue the verified facts?
This does make you look quite foolish or dishonest.

>>> There is no "unless". The fixed algorithm of H, which will henceforth be referred to as Ha and similarly P will be referred to as Pa, *does* abort.
>> Which is *NOT* halting. A halting input must reach its own final state.
>>> Because of this, Hb(Pa,Pa) explicitly shows that the simulated input to Ha(Pa,Pa) *does* stop. The fact that Pn(Pn) does not halt and that Hn(Pn,Pn) does not halt is irrelevant.
>> It it not Hb(Pa,Pa) it is Hb(Px,Px). That P calls H makes it an entirely
>> different input than Px that does not call Hb.
>
> No it is *exactly* Hb(Pa,Pa). The same encoding passed to Ha is passed to Hb.

You only have to do a correct execution trace of Ha(Pa,Pa) and Hb(Pa,Pa)
to see that:

The correctly simulated input to Ha(Pa,Pa) specifies infinitely nested
simulation where as correctly simulated input to Hb(Pa,Pa) DOES NOT
specify infinitely nested simulation.

How much longer are you going to continue the verified facts?
This does make you look quite foolish or dishonest.

Trimmed extraneous / redundant material to stay focused on the most
essential point.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: On recursion and infinite recursion (reprise)

By: olcott on Tue, 3 May 2022

2olcott