Subject: Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.lang.semantics
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 17:30:57 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:30 UTC

On 5/13/22 4:56 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/13/2022 3:43 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Change everything that diverges from my spec:
>>> A deductive argument is said to be valid if and only if it takes a
>>> form such that its conclusion is a necessary consequence of all of
>>> its premises.

>>> Semantic relevance is maintained.

>>> It corrects the divergence of classical and symbolic logic from
>>> correct reasoning.

>>> It remains unknown until it is known to be true or false.
>>> My system only eliminates impossibly true or false.
>>>

>> So, you don't know what is still valid to use?

>>> unprovable in the system means untrue in the system.
>>
>> And what does 'untrue' mean?
>>

> Untrue means the same thing as Prolog's negation as failure.

Which means... ?

Prolog, as I remember, ASSUMES that anything not provable is FALSE (not
'untrue').

>> We know that there is a number that solves an equation, but we don't
>> know that number, or how to compute that number.
>>
>> Can we say that it is true that such a number exists?
>>

> If you defined your terms correctly, then yes because this has been
> stipulated in your deinitions.
>
>> This means that we can define the floor of that number, which will be
>> an integer (call it N), is it true that this number exists?
>>
>> That interger, MUST be either even or odd, so we know that either
>> iseven(N) is true or isodd(N) is true.
>>
>> By your logic, the 'truth value' of both of those must be 'untrue'
>> since we can not prove which one it is.
>>
>> This is the sort of problem you run into with your system.

>>> Within any formal system unprovable in the system means untrue in the
>>> system.
>>>
>>> The entire body of analytic truth is constructed only on the basis of
>>> semantic connections between expressions of language, or expressions
>>> that are stipulated to have the semantic property of Boolean true.
>>> Lacking both of these and the expression is untrue.
>>>
>>> Since axioms are provable on the basis that they are axioms then both
>>> of these factors that make an expression true also make it provable.
>>>

>> You clearly are just stating words by rote and not actually
>> understanding them.
>>

> There are only two possible ways that any analytical expression of
> language can possibly be true:
> (1) It is stipulated to be true.
> (2) It is derived by applying only truth preserving operations to (1) or
> the consequences of (2).

So there exists an integer number N is neither Even or Odd? (it is
untrue for both tests)

I don't think you actually understand what that means.

>> Analytic Truth is truth that is provable, that is correct, but it
>> accepts that there is OTHER things that happen to be true but are not
>> provable.
>>

> Analytic truth includes every expression of language that can be
> completely verified as totally true entirely on the basis of its meaning
> without requiring any sense data from the sense organs.
>
> Empirical expressions of language also require sense data from the sense
> organs to verify their truth.

You still don't understand, do you.

You still confuse Truth with Knowledge.

Pitiful.

>> You are making a Category Error in you logic system, and confusing
>> Knowledge with Truth.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning

By: olcott on Fri, 13 May 2022

67olcott