Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 11:33:22 -0500
Subject: Re: Reviewers quit reviewing my work because it is now finally
irrefutable [V2]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<19ednd06ecVtOjH_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<20220617171424.00006f1f@reddwarf.jmc>
<19edndw6ecVNNTH_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<20220617172234.00000777@reddwarf.jmc>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 16:33 UTC

On 6/17/2022 11:22 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 11:16:15 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/17/2022 11:14 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> It doesn't count according to who?
>>
>> The above definition of pure functions.
>
> "In computer science, an operation, function or expression is said to
> have a side effect if it modifies some state variable value(s) outside
> its local environment,

The second part is an inaccurate paraphrase of the first part.

> which is to say if it has any observable effect
> other than its primary effect of returning a value to the invoker of
> the operation." --
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_effect_(computer_science)
>
> "any observable effect"
>
> Aborting the simulation instead of returning a value to the invoker
> disqualifies it from being a pure function.
>
> /Flibble

void P(ptr x)
{ if (H(x, x))
HERE: goto HERE;
return;
}

int main()
{ Output("Input_Halts = ", H(P, P));
}

_P()
[00001352](01) 55 push ebp
[00001353](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00001355](03) 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00001358](01) 50 push eax // push P
[00001359](03) 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[0000135c](01) 51 push ecx // push P
[0000135d](05) e840feffff call 000011a2 // call H
[00001362](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[00001365](02) 85c0 test eax,eax
[00001367](02) 7402 jz 0000136b
[00001369](02) ebfe jmp 00001369
[0000136b](01) 5d pop ebp
[0000136c](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0027) [0000136c]

H aborts its x86 emulation of P as soon P reaches its machine address of
[0000135d] the very first time before the code at this address is
emulated. Then H returns 0 to its caller: main().

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Reviewers quit reviewing my work because it is now finally

By: olcott on Fri, 17 Jun 2022

62olcott